Thursday 17 February 2022

BENGALI PYAZI


 
MURI O TELEBHAJA; THAT IS SO SIGNATURE BENGAL!

Amazing enough, our parents who were deadly against letting us roadside food; did get Telebhaja / fries & fritters regular; I mean weekly once or fortnightly! In those days, for a maximum of Bengali Homes; puffed rice with fries & fritters from the neighbourhood shops had been the evening time ritual. Whilst in our home, we were feed chana / homemade soft paneer, muri; also roshogolla with muri or ruti; worst had been a glass of milk or complan added to it, marie or cream cracker biscuit with homemade jam on top! Biscuits were a pleasure but milk? Nah! Actually, back from the school, I would have rice; later during the college days; the practice was forcefully stopped due to my obesity! Once in college and with quite a few tuitions in hand; I could exercise some liberty of having outside food! I did get enough freedom from the parents, not Bhai! On days, when I would head back home an hour late; post 6 pm, I would get Telebhaja! We enjoyed them sitting together! Our mother was been too fond of "fuluri", till date I totally dislike it! On days she got us maggi or pastry cakes in the evenings or made porota for us, she would get fuluri for herself. I would still insist the father loved his "muri-kola ba aam-dudh" the most, in the evenings! These days, the mother hardly wants outside food!

KOLKATA & TELEBHAJA!

They are intertwined! The proper Kolkata & it's suburbs would have a fries & fritter shop in every neighbourhood! Only the condominium localities, the new developments for the past two decades would not have them. They would not have anything that are so specific of Kolkata, those that defines Kolkata! Actually, those who buy flats in the secluded areas, want to stay away from the hustle & bustle of the city life! We were like, wished to upgrade us to stay in a decent condominium but did not really want to get totally aloof from the Kolkata life! Few would understand why I wish to stay in a condominium near to the Baguiati & Nagerbazaar, even after a decade when we go back! From our place to Baguiati Bazaar it takes to get a decent Telebhaja, do not know what exactly is the scenario now, if Tegharia opened up new shops or not! Feeling a bit homesick these days; just scared of a fate like Bappi Lahiri, Lata Mangeshkar or Sandhya Mukherjee! Did not they get their boosters? Okay! The two veteran ladies were ninety up but Bappi Lahiri and I, both have got comorbidities and the over weight issue! Yet, I had that lemon cream biscuits on my walk today; back home the cooker made rice & malka masur dal and pointed gourd & chilli pakora!




Cristine made them, she ends up adding more of gram flour & less of rice flour like the rest of the India. They tasted good but softens quickly! I mostly make the fries & fritters we eat and blog about ; all of us love, the son & I love the most! I already have a related recipe PAKORA / TELEBHAJA / FRIES N FRITTERS existing in the Blog! I just need to update the pictures. Besides, I have a good number of fried snacks recipes in the blog; from BENGALI BEGUNI to PUI PATAR BORA !

WHAT IS THIS BENGALI PYAZI?

It is one of the most common & popular fritter in Bengal; some other states of India also have it! The taste and the ingredients of this BENGALI PYAZI would slightly differ! The main ingredient of this batter fried onions would be the same everywhere! The star ingredient of this vegan & gluten-free fritter / snack is Onion; bigger in size & fresh! There is no artistry in shaping them & frying; we need the patience to fry them in the right temperature! I keep myself occupied with cooking, with a bit of humour even if I am not in the mood or habit; we have to live well as long as we are here on this earth! My loner self finds a very good friend in music, of my choice of genre!



INGREDIENTS :

SLICED ONION : 2 COFFEE MUG
CHOPPED GREEN CHILLI : 1 TBSP
GRAM FLOUR : 1/2 SMALL TEA CUP
RICE FLOUR : 1/2 MEDIUM TEA CUP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 1 TSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1/4 TSP
SUGAR : 1 TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
NIGELLA SEED / KALO JEEREY : 1/2 TSP
OIL : ENOUGH TO DEEP FRY
WATER : AS REQUIRED

METHOD :


We would have the sliced onion & chopped green chillies washed & ready! I did add some chopped spring onions; home grown!
 

The right way is to prepare a batter but I make things easier for myself, for you too!

We would add the rest of the ingredients except for the water & oil!


We would fold in the ingredients, and add water little by little to prepare a paste like consistency!


We then would heat a good amount of oil, not to the smoking point!


We would take the battered onion mix on our palm and flatten a bit; gently would add to the oil!


We would cook both sides well at low heat and in batches!



Once done, quite golden brown on the outside, we would take them out!


We would rest them on a tissue paper for sometime and then serve hot with a choice of sauce / chutney!










3 comments :

  1. Our dried white-bean salad (in Turkish, we call it: Piyaz) is very popular. Bengali pyaz looks another different and new recipe.

    ReplyDelete