Thursday, 8 October 2026

EASY MADE KOFTA CURRY



Weather today is beautiful, so had been taste of vegetarian kofta curry I cooked on 20th September, 2026, at noon. The haze leaves us with an awkward feeling. It occurs regular. In this home, we ain't complaining type but adjusting, happy kinds. Food on table, good health, savings in bank gets peace. Pre 2020, I would complain, tell man had we stayed in Canada, America, Australia; we could have been in bigger homes, buy property, would get permanent stay visa easy if settled in Canada, Australia. Then came 2022, October, we visited son in Boston, I got to understand challenges of living in West, pleasure of"Cristine, get some water, pls"is dream. With few malls, food places around city centre, we got bored revisiting in 2024, April. Singapore is upgraded Kolkata, Mumbai, I mean better version of Indian metro cities. I really don't know about scenario in India's neighbours', they obviously don't have great public transport like India, Singapore's is great. My crazy American dream was always bypassed by man, once we visited got the reason. The quiet neighbourhoods got me depression. 

I am DUMDUM girl, who fits in Singapore. Man, also DUMDUM boy knows it, he would say,"life isn't your fantasy, I know you, regular household chores isn't for you who wants market at door step, neither I can help you with that, I hate doing clothes, utensils, cooking!" End of 2022, I realised Cristine is precious than big home, children don't play outdoors, men do not sit together for tea / coffee, women can't make quick changeover, run to market, as I did in DumDum. Mother would ask to get green chilli from "Bongar chashi" sitting near Lila cinema hall whilst her lentil would boil. The same mother today doesn't want to leave Barrackpore.

Post 2020, I started exploring Singapore, on foot, MRT, bus. Before that I remained busy upbringing son. These days, it feels safe without fearing assault in empty streets, pickpockets! Thats a gift. I don't know if natives dislike us, I rarely would get misbehaves, I chat with many! In present day, I feel close attachment to the place!

I ain't saying West is bad, one needs to go at young age, love driving, being alone, quiet neighbourhoods. How son is managing without car don't know. For him we couldn't hire car, visit Niagara, other places. He refused to go, my point was if we came to spend time with son, my happiness is in cooking, feeding him. I have it in genes, I enjoy doing it, It hurts if my efforts are ignored. We can order everything today, I can't quit what brings pleasure, I must pursue hobbies. I cook, write, sing, click, recite whenever willing, why to break head thinking this & that?



Thats my head, matter inside is less. If I am asked to think & act, I get irritated, confused, upset. I wasn't taking care of skin, in few months it has destroyed. My dark skin isn't an issue. Cristine is fair. Yesterday, we went shopping for raw stuffs, bought my hair colour too!



We had lunch at Saizeriya, my favourite. I don't have an issue if others don't take care of hair, skin. We should do what interests us. I believe in maintenance, don't use range of skin products. Powder, lipstick, eye kohl are must for me. I ain't jealous of Cristine's good skin. I have no time for pettiness, I am occupied with hobbies, I don't want to bother world! Let everyone do their part! A mere Pierre Cardin lip liner I bought yesterday is making me happy!

Since 2020, August, not a single day I bothered man for not buying me property, gold, diamond! He shouldered responsibility many do not in spite of having ability. He knows my mind, so could go ahead with it. Do you think my men admit? To praise me isn't in their plan! I repeat say these, son shouldn't misunderstand mumma. I prefer antique silver, Turkish alloy over gold jewelry. Around this time of year, I buy bit of gold, This year I didn't, I would once son gets us great news. Worry would go into ashes with me. He would get job, I would start fearing he may lose his job. Once he marries, next day fear of their separation would start bothering me. Some are built this way! We have to make peace with our characteristics, else unhappiness would rule us!

My daily happiness starts with choice of first meal. You know I cannot eat what I dislike. I get sick. My digestive system is ever deteriorating, major reason for my skin disorder! I wouldn't stop living, would keep buying clothes, lipsticks, eye kohl; to live is beautiful!


Morning I had tapioca upma, now had chapati, weekday night we have rice meals. All my meals are carb loaded. My readers already know I tried millet varieties to quinoa but I can't digest them if taken regular. Let me eat what we grew up having, but in moderation; control intake of salt, sugar, oil; health would be better! The thought of mushroom-broccoli omelette with four eggs for brunch gets me trauma. 

Paneer had been favourite of me & son, man prefers curry made with freshly curdled milk. I wanted son to take me to desi shop last May, so I could buy for him, cook; he didn't take me. I am not that smart to see map, visit city centre of an unknown city. Else, would I allow him to order online Bob Mill's flour, that too 2kg for 10 days, for two people? What he did with leftovers he knows, I didn't bring back anything except for "laccha shemai". I wish he learns basic cooking, household skills. Our mother spoon fed us. Until an age its required, thereafter parents need to help us learn. Well, my wishes do not commensurate with what is right to do. I am a mother, that too our mother's daughter, I wish we get to stay in this island, son too comes & make life here, he may stay in separate home with partner, so both parties enjoy freedom, respect boundaries; and all of us keep visiting India frequently. Man, I must have home in Kolkata, later son inherits that. But we don't know where life would take us!

Better I share with you one lovely vegetarian kofta dish. We had guest during that time. I use frozen paneer for starter, sandesh sweet making these days. Malai paneer I used to enjoy in restaurants back in India, also how Catering houses do there. But I dislike using cream, dry fruits pastes in food. We are Bengalis, that section who enjoy light curries. With guest at home, I planned quick lunch, not usual weekday Bengali food. I made grilled chicken, a vegetarian, gluten-free EASY MADE KOFTA CURRY. The kofta is made of paneer / kind of cottage cheese, potato, few spices! The gravy has onion, tomato, white sesame seeds, watermelon seeds, ginger extract, cumin, coriander, red chilli, green chilli, turmeric. Use Tofu instead of Paneer to make it gluten-free!




INGREDIENTS : [FOR KOFTA]

PANEER : 150-200 GM
BOILED POTATO : 1
CRUSHED BLACK PEPPER : 1/4 TSP
CHOPPED GREEN CHILLI : 1 TSP
DRY MANGO POWDER : 1/2 TSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1/4 TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
SUGAR : 1/2 TSP
CUMIN SEED : A PINCH
OIL : 1 TSP + 2 TO FRY IN APPE PAN

INGREDIENTS : [FOR GRAVY]

THE COOKED KOFTA
ONION PASTE : 3 TBSP
TOMATO PASTE : 2 TBSP
GREEN CHILLI PASTE : 1TSP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 1/4 TSP
CUMIN POWDER : 1/2 TSP
CORIANDER POWDER : 1/2 TSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1/4 TSP
GINGER EXTRACT : 2 TSO [JUICE I MEAN]
SALT : AS REQUIRED
SUGAR : 1 TSP
WATERMELON SEED : 1 TSP
WHITE SESAME SEED : 1 TSP
CUMIN SEED : A PINCH
BAYLEAF : 1
BUTTER : 1TSP
OIL : 1 TBSP
FRESH CORIANDER TO GARNISH

PROCEDURE :

I mashed together paneer & boiled potato discarding skin with hand.

I heated 1tsp oil in wok, tempered with cumin seeds, chopped, washed green chillies. Stirred for 1/2 a minute.

I added paneer-potato mash, turmeric, salt, dry mango powder, sugar, butter. Stir cooked for 3-4 minutes. 

I transferred mixture to plate, let it cool! Cristine made balls, we fried them in "appe pan" adding few drops of oil in each hole. 

NOTE : You may bake them or fry in wok, may require more oil!

For gravy, I pasted peeled, cut, washed, deseeded tomato, onion, green chilli, watermelon seeds, white sesame seeds together adding little water.

I tempered oil with cumin seeds, bay leaf; added paste, ginger extract! 

I stir cooked for 3-4 minutes, added cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt, cooked for 2-3 minutes.

I added coffee mug of water, gave a stir, let it simmer for 6-7 minutes. I added sugar, you may not.

Add kofta in serving bowl, pour gravy over them! Garnish with washed, fresh coriander. Serve & enjoy with handmade bread, plain rice, pilaf, fried rice!














No comments :

Post a Comment