Monday, 5 October 2026

CHILLED ATA FRUIT PUDDING


 A successful experiment ushers in happiness! A dessert with Aata phal / Custard Apple wasn't ever made in our Bengali household, we had it seasonally as fruit! Loving it, when I saw Custard Apple orchard inside Chittorgarh Fort whilst touring Rajasthan in 1996, I felt overjoyed! Rajasthan isn't state we cover within 16 days, we have to visit multiple time, stay longer to unfold it's historical importance! That was my last tour with parents & brother, later I visited Jaipur with man, the toddler son, a friend's family in 2005 or 2006, don't remember! I remember beautiful memories we created together, frequency increased since son left home in 2020! I cooked a dessert today, I cannot serve him, how beautiful it was to watch father-son having what I cooked, serve. Cristine too did lot for our son, she is our mental support in an empty nest! Then, I am not the only one to suffer from empty nest syndrome!

During festive season, I get busy writing recipes. Anyone tries them in their kitchens or not I enjoy sharing festive friendly recipes this time of year! Cooking is fruitful activity for me! With excitement of sharing untimely recipe, I started writing last evening. I can't skip my weekday exercise routine, its directly related to my health! If I was aware since youth, I wouldn't be taking four medicines, supplements! Last night, also got busy making "Missi Roti" but ran out of coriander leaves, dried fenugreek leaves, didn't use ghee either!


I prefer sattu [roasted gram flour] over besan [unroasted gram flour], in those days our kind of middle class Bengali homes stocked both! Our mother used soaked rice paste for batter fries instead of gram flour. But you cannot do potato [aloor chop], eggplant [beguni] batter fries with rice paste, gram flour is must. We didn't know use of corn flour, she perhaps doesn't buy in present day; I use lot! She would cook Bengali, handmade breads, curries like Dhaba, jam-jelly, Bengali pickles! Our parents loved Dhaba food while on tour. Once in college, I would take mani out, we visited Southern Indian eateries which only knew about dosa, idli, utthapam. After relocating to Singapore, I have learnt more about their cuisine.


I must cook Family style Bengali Food on Saturdays but I have learnt about world food starting to blog about food. I enjoy experimenting with food, fusioning ingredients! Last Saturday, I cooked vegetables, locally got my choice of Bhola Mach [croaker family], extremely fond of this fish, also called cheaper variety of sea bass. I ain't fond of sea bass except for it's boneless version! I cooked chicken too, eggs can be had anytime!


These days, I cook less desserts, sweets. However, I get cravings every few days for few varieties. I started loving local desserts. I try making dairy-free versions! Today's is one such! 

Chilled watermelon, choice chilled fruits can be my dessert bowl these days. Too much of fruits too a diabetic isn't allowed to have. I prepared this vegan, gluten-free dessert, CHILLED ATA FRUIT PUDDING, it would not only serve those fasting for Navratri, but my community during Durgapuja, Xmas, Kali puja / Diwali, Muslims! This light on stomach vegetarian dessert bowl can be your weekly pleasure. Made with pulp of custard apple, coconut milk, desiccated coconut, sugar, rose water to flavour, pomegranate to garnish, its sooth in your mouth, food pipe, to stomach! Come, let's do it! Life would get us challenges at every turn, we would face bravely, win for sure. I don't have courage to face, I bypass, just this way, indulging in my hobbies! I overcame absurdity inside my head earlier, I would in future, just a matter of time. 



INGREDIENTS : 

CUSTARD APPLE PULP : OF ONE BIG SIZED
COCONUT MILK : 150-200 ML
DESICCATED COCONUT : 2 TBSP
SUGAR : 4 TBSP
ROSE WATER : 1/2 TSP

PROCEDURE :


I prefer using coconut powder to make coconut milk, you may go your way.

Boil thick coconut milk at low flame not more than 5 minutes.

Scoop pulp from washed Custard Apple, discard seeds!

Dry roast desiccated coconut at minimal flame for 3-4 minutes, let cool.

Powder it along with sugar! Add fruit pulp, blend well.

Transfer to bowl, cook in microwave at minimal temperature for 4-5 minutes. Pause every minute, stir!

Once both are cool, beat together well, add rose water, stir!

Chill for few hours in refrigerator. Garnish with pomegranate, serve, have!




No comments :

Post a Comment