Thursday 3 February 2022

DRIED METHI FLAVOURED MADAN KOTKOTI


 

SNACKING BOOSTS POSITIVE ENERGY; SAYS...

WHO ELSE BUT ME! I cannot think of a single tea / coffee session without some snacks to go alongside! It seems like what is the purpose of having a cuppa without some fries & fritters, cake on the side? It is an irritating scene to watch the man having tea & coffee with absolutely nothing! He argues his is the right way to have! I think I would stop drinking tea / coffee if I am asked to stop snacking! Yesterday evening, Cristine went to the church with her sister! All of the day, I did not get a chance to exercise; I only enjoy walking or swimming. I asked the man to stay alone, watch the television and went out for a walk. Its a big deal because we usually prefer staying together on a holiday; more ever since the son set out of the home! We feel lonely otherwise! I could have gone down for a swim, but I wished to have an appam with a sugar-free milk coffee with a dash of ginger!


In the same morning I fried the snacks whose recipe I am going to share in a while!

A BUSY WEEKEND IS APPROACHING!

Today, I thought of shopping for the fruits & a few vegetables locally; required for the special prayer meet that is on Saturday! They are cheaper in our suburbs, specially in the interior markets I have discovered! Then, it is the lunar new year time; most of the shops and wet markets are fully closed; this would be the scene the entire week. I have to buy everything tomorrow from the Indian Market! All of a sudden I wished for a noodle bowl for our lunch! The man took cake, halwa & a boiled egg in his lunch box. I wished for a noodle bowl way before my brother declared this afternoon that he loves Oriental Chicken, Rice & Noodles these days! I cannot always keep up with the new developments in their lives. But I do not think he would want to have the noodle bowl I prepared today! Its a typical South East Asian way of doing it; both I & Cristine loved it! The noodle was boiled with salt. Then I stir cooked a vegetarian Kang kong without the Prawn Belacan or Chicken Stock Cube & Cristine scrambled the eggs with onion & chillies.


I loved my lunch today! I had no intent or space to have the kheer but we had to finish it! Saturday, we would be making another batch for my God Family!

I bought that flour cushion the day before, was selling at 14:90$ at the NTUC! Its an out & out middle class home; my God Family wore washed clothes today! Cristine was doing the job; I went out for the shopping! How I liked clicking people in a leisurely mood; the girl was totally immersed in a music score on her guitar! I lack this dedication!




My tea sesh has to have a slice of the cake I baked on the stovetop yesterday!


I got four of these cups this morning for 4$; yet the market areas are donning a weary look!

WHAT IS THIS DRIED METHI FLAVOURED MADAN KOTKOTI?

Madan Kotkoti had been a kind of a refined flour biscuit so popular in our childhood; it retained it's popularity till date in the time of the big multinational giants! I do not think any renowned Biscuit & Cookie making Company sells it! We used to buy from the local shops that too not frequently as the parents did not allow much of a variety of biscuits! Until few years back, I used to get a packet to Singapore, from Kolkata! Then I learnt to prepare this vegetarian biscuit snack! If you skip using ghee / clarified butter, it becomes vegan. That also means compromise on the flavour part! But I kept it vegan this time, used oil! In these years of food blogging, I have also learnt that not only West Bengal; some other states of India loves it too, calls it Monakka Biscuit! Here, the Indian Minimarts sell it! I tried a sugar-free version of this vegan, vegetarian snack DRIED METHI FLAVOURED MADAN KOTKOTI; used dried fenugreek leaves / kasuri methi in the dough! In my case, what happens is it's crispness goes away the next day! I again heat it, bring to the normal temperature before eating! I suggest you to prepare it in small batches, eat fresh; try to keep it in airtight container!



PROCEDURE :

REFINED FLOUR : 1 COFFEE MUG
WHOLEWHEAT FLOUR : 1/2 COFFEE MUG
DRIED FENUGREEK LEAF : A HANDFUL
SALT : A PINCH OR TWO
WARM WATER : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 250 ML + 3 TBSP 

PROCEDURE :

RECIPE INSPIRATION : RANDHONI XAAL; AN ASSAM BASED YOU-TUBER I GUESS!


Take both the flours, salt, the kasuri methi in a bigger, wide mouthed bowl!




Mix well the ingredients and add 3-4 tbsp of oil! Rub well for 3-4 minutes!



Make warm some water and add to the bowl little by little. Keep kneading to prepare a firm dough. They say softer dough would yield soggy snacks, not enough crisp!



Once the dough is done, keep covered for 20 minutes to half an hour!



Remove the cover and knead again for few minutes!


Tear off portions; roll out and fold from all sides! Roll square shapes; not too thin!


Cut lengthwise and then into squares!


Add enough oil in the wok for deep frying! We have to add the uncooked squares when the oil is lukewarm and fry gradually over longer period!




Place onto tissue papers before serving & having!


They are a good accompaniment to your tea / coffee sesh! They taste best & crisp when eaten fresh. If you are storing; reheat for 30 seconds at the lowest heat before having, they turn crisp once microwaved!





2 comments :

  1. Our 5pm tea-breaks are very popular among the friends (ne8ghbours). These snacks (biscuits) looks great and very light. I am sure it must be delicious. Let me have a bowl of this snack for tea-break.

    ReplyDelete