Wednesday 13 November 2019

BENGALI BEGUNI


I cannot remember how many attempts it took me to correct a "Beguni" batter. I never did realise before that a batter for a chop, be it "aloor chop or beguni" is it's most important part. Each time I was trying my hands on a "beguni", the outer look was not giving me satisfaction. I could see the wrong but  failed to rectify it. I was desperate to make my batter fried egg plants look like what we buy from the "tele bhaja" shops in Kolkata. Preparing fries and fritters is a regular affair at our home, we have to have it. What I do is either thinly slice the egg plants and fry them simply marinating in salt & sugar, then coating them with some rice flour or just cut thick slices, marinate with salt & sugar and fry. Because I find preparing "aloor chop and beguni" quite an exercise, I was just avoiding to try them. Then, I am a primitive from Kolkata living far from there. How long can I control myself from the cravings for "muri-telebhaja." I started trying my hands on this vegetarian snack with egg plant / aubergine BENGALI BEGUNI which apparently does not require a complicated process but all the trick lies in correcting the batter for it. All this while I was learning to correct the batter, doing so I came across https://khadizaskitchen.com's tips about a "telebhaja batter".... I felt following her tips I can prepare decent "beguni o aloor chop"..... earlier, I was really going wrong with my batter fried egg plants. They did not look well but in whichever way you do them, they will taste good. However, the look of it is important to me too. In this context, you may also check my "PAKORA / TELEBHAJA / FRIES & FRITTERS" recipe! But I admit I am not a pro-begun or telebhaja maker!



What you see above tasted very well but I was unable to get the right look. What I am sharing with you today with regards to Bengali Style Batter Fried Egg Plants BENGALI BEGUNI looks way better and nearer to "kaku r dokan er telebhaja."I would not claim it to be 95% perfect, that will require some regular practice, I have seen very good similar recipes and videos around. Taste wise, mine is perfect. How do I stand out from the "morer telebhajar dokaner beguni?" Mine has chunks of egg plant pieces with a thin batter coverage done hygienically. Good enough reason for you to try my recipe.

You see, I keep committing mistakes in my kitchen. Yesterday, I again tried a cornmeal+oatmeal bread, this time with yeast. Somewhere it went wrong, we are eating it but the texture may not be okay, so I felt. Hence, I rested the idea of blogging about it, we will try again and keep trying.


I think I have earned myself some brownie points in controlling my blood sugar level and can treat myself with these mini donuts without any amount of sugar dusted on it. I love it. Mistakes we will make at various junctures of our lives, I excuse those who does is unknowingly, I absolutely wish to detach myself from those who does not know manners and behave wrongfully, I have nothing to do with these elements.... as I always say that I lack oil, specially would never use it for the wrong kinds.  Rest, I am always eager to learn beautiful lessons of life from the qualitative beings.

Important Tips on preparing  a Beguni Batter is learnt from "https://khadizaskitchen.com"



INGREDIENTS :

EGG PLANT : 1 BIG [ I USE THE BIG FAT PURPLE OR LIGHT GREEN VARIETY]
GRAM FLOUR : 11/2 MEDIUM TEA CUP
RICE  FLOUR : 1 TBSP
CORNFLOUR : 1 TBSP
NIGELLA SEED : 1 TSP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 1/2TSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1/2TSP
SUGAR : 1/2TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
BAKING SODA : 1/4 TSP
ICE COLD WATER : AS REQUIRED 
OIL : 100ML-150ML TO DEEP FRY

PROCEDURE :


Cut neither thick nor too thin slices of an egg plant in shapes of your choice. My wok meant for deep frying does not support batter frying those big, pear shaped slices of begun I love. Before the cut, we would wash the egg plant / aubergine, discard the two ends.

Now soak them in water and keep aside for 10-12 minutes.

Take the gram flour, rice flour, cornflour, the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt, sugar and nigella seeds a bowl. Mix it well, better is to pass them through a sieve.

Now add ice cold water little by little, keep mixing to get a thick batter [remember addition of salt & sugar liquifies the batter further].

Mix well and keep beating for 5-6 minutes. Do it with your right palm or you can use a whisk.

They say the more you beat the  batter, it works better. I lack patience!

Switch on the gas stove and heat the wok, add oil and heat it at low heat.

Discard the soaked water from the egg plant pieces.

Add the baking soda to the batter & whisk again well! Because the batter has baking soda, we will not keep it standing but start frying as soon as the oil is hot but not to the smoking point.

Dip each egg plant piece to the batter, coat well and deep fry at low heat. For any fries and fritters, we constantly have to adjust the heat.

Keep splashing oil on the top of the fry, turn over when one side is done.

Reserve them on top of a tissue paper before serving & having!

Nonetheless to say, they taste best when served fresh and hot. We have it either with puffed rice [muri] or with lentil curry [dal] and salad. 









No comments :

Post a Comment