The sky seems to play hide & seek; few minutes back a cool breeze swept off my hairs, it was cloudy. Right now, its bright, windy. This is exactly the kind of weather I love, San Francisco weather seemed like this, bright, shiny past evening! Gloomy sky causes me discomfort, physically; what medical science says don't know, depression gets me headache! I have love-hate relationship with rain, its definitely poet's muse! When we romanticise with nature, everything around; we don't think about ordeal of unfortunates, how they cope with fury of nature, with life itself. Though left-leaned, I can't think like hardcore leftists! I never could consider Moon a burnt roti like the Bengali revolutionist poet! Marxism is a justified concept in theory, difficult to put into daily usage! Aim of Humans is to progress, to make use of one's potential, communism doesn't allow one to flourish! If I speak on it's behalf, it would mean I don't want son to achieve heights! Thats not true, I want him to fly higher! Humans have to achieve as per abilities, help those with lesser abilities live decent! May be the utopia I believe in is functionally impossible.
Where was I? Okay, I told earlier, I enjoy walking in daylight, my skin darkened, yet. Another reason for skin darkening is highly chlorinated water of swimming pool. I walk in day time because I have been asked by medical expert, I have vitamin-D, C, Calcium deficiency. Post child birth, I had iron deficiency too. I think these are common among South Asian women; or Asian women?
Vitamin-C supplements are pricey, what about having Gooseberry / Amla regular? At this age, keeping well internally is important! If I had this realisation 15 years back, I need not have to take 4 different tablets each day of year!
I ain't healthy eater, I am an Indian, I can't survive on soups & salads; I have measured carbs, couldn't quit it. Keto diet doesn't suit me, protein causes stomach upset! I am too protective about my kidney, intestine, negative thoughts about them are killing! Then my perennial tendency of constipation makes me feel my bladder to rectum would rot any day! If I am not an unromantic, who is? My fear mongering self made me one! To keep myself in track, I need music, reads! To live life, we have to have certain kind of creative escapades!
Sometime back, Cristine served porota, green moong dal, the garnish of onion & green chilli makes the difference though I didn't add butter. In morning, I made porota / flatbreads for man, Cristine knows well, yet. She gets hurt, I asked her to fry mine. I cooked my brunch too, thatte idli in microwave oven. At night, I would have rice.
Yesterday, I enjoyed the sugarcane juice, the kueh varieties felt greasy! But why? All this while, I thought they are steamed. In other shops, they didn't feel this greasy until date. Thats bit of disappointment I carried back home yesterday!
Before travelling to India, I had this meal at 4 Fingers. I don't remember which local flavour fried drumlets had, loved! The milk in matcha drink caused me discomfort, dairy is an issue. Milk, Sugar-free matcha tea suits me better! May be I had it at Don Don Donki!
A lifetime isn't enough to explore food varieties Singapore has in offer. Then, I work on budget! I eat out at least five days in a week, I don't work! Perhaps, I am not in habit of limitless spending, so don't know the scenario had I been a working woman! Savings is important in life!
I don't know if menopause is cause of my irritative state these days, I get restless easily, loose concentration! It feels pathetic when people consider my concern for son, missing him, meaningless; don't take me seriously! In any mental state, I can cook, I enjoy time in kitchen without any interference. On such a day, last week I was trying vegan Roshogolla using Tofu, failing which I even tried Tofu Lyangcha, gulabjamun, nothing worked! I ended up cooking a curry, BENGALI STYLE TOFU DHOKA CURRY! Dhoka here isn't betrayal but tofu cakes! I kept the curry vegan, gluten-free, addition of cinnamon-green cardamom-cloves powder, garnish of ghee makes curry, a Bengali, vegetarian dalna! I usually don't waste things unless required!
Other similar curry recipes from my blog are EGG CURRY......A COASTAL INDIAN TOUCH, MUSHROOM & SOYA KHEEMA CURRY, ALOO POTOL ER DALNA, MACHER TOK / SOUR FISH CURRY, MUTTON KOFTA MALAI CURRY, DUM KA MURG, CHOLE PANEER
INGREDIENTS :
FIRM TOFU : 100 GM [I USED TAU KWA]
POTATO : 1
CHOPPED CORIANDER : 1 TBSP
CHOPPED GREEN CHILLI : 1 TSP
DRY MANGO / AAMCHUR POWDER : 1/2 TSP
GINGER PASTE : 1 TSP
CUMIN POWDER : 1 TSP
CORIANDER POWDER : 1 TSP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 1 TSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1/2 TSP
CUMIN SEED : 1/4 TSP
BAYLEAF : 1
CORN FLOUR : 1 TSP
BAKING POWDER : 1 OR 2 PINCH
SALT : AS REQUIRED
SUGAR : 1 TSP [OPTIONAL]
OIL : 1 TBSP
PROCEDURE :
Bengali style tofu-potato curry, plain rice would suit it, even chapati!
Heat 1 tsp oil in wok, temper with 2 pinches of cumin seeds, chopped, washed green chillies, give a stir.
Add washed, crumbled tofu, salt, 1/4 tsp each of turmeric-cumin- coriander powder, 1/2 tsp dry mango powder, salt. Stir cook for 3-4 minutes.
Add cornflour, baking powder, 1/4 tsp sugar, stir cook for 2-3 minutes. Take down, shape into a square. Cut small.
Peel, wash, cut potato into cubes. Marinate with salt, turmeric.
Heat more oil in wok. Fry potato cubes, tofu squares in batches. Take out.
Prepare a spice paste with ginger paste, remaining turmeric-cumin-coriander & red chilli powders, salt.
Temper remaining oil with remaining cumin seeds, bayleaf.
Add spice paste. Stir cook for 2-3 minutes adding 1tbsp water.
Add fried potato pieces, fry for 2-3 minutes. Add 1 & 1/2 coffee mug of water. Bring to boil.
Lower heat, simmer for 4-5 minutes, add sugar, tofu squares, washed, slitted green chillies. Simmer for 1-2 minutes.
Garnish with washed, chopped coriander leaves. Switch off gas stove, transfer to serving bowl. Have it hot, warm with choice of main!





Thank you one of my favourites. Will try
ReplyDeleteThis Bengali-style tofu dhoka curry looks so hearty and comforting! I love how you’ve reimagined the traditional lentil-based dhoka with tofu—it’s such a creative and wholesome twist. The rich, spiced gravy paired with the golden tofu cakes makes the dish feel both authentic and innovative. Thank you for sharing this recipe; it’s inspiring me to bring a taste of Bengal into my own kitchen!
ReplyDelete