Monday 25 October 2021

BENGALI STYLE VEGETABLE TEMPURA


 
ILL HEALTH CANNOT DEFEAT ME; WRONG FOOD HABITS CAN!

I was going through excruciating pain in different parts of the body for the past two weeks including the chronic frozen shoulder condition! That cannot mar my spirit; I do not wish to live the life of a vegetable, I had to remain moving!What I required was certain kind of a medical intervention; hence went to a traditional Chinese Alternative Medicine practitioner! I already have four different kinds of tablets each day for different ailments, did not wish for add ons! The massage, cupping he did, the medicine he gave, the exercises he prescribed; are working. The frozen shoulder  thing would take time because it is not a new guest in my life! I take the responsibilities of all the troubles thats trying to mar my spirit! All these years, I did walking without any amount of stretching exercises! Now with all the wrong habits are taking a toll on my health; but I am not the kind to visit every home, call every person to express my pain, seek sympathy! I have told very few, playing victim card is not my thing! I know what or who makes me happy! Feeling little better today, I went for a walk, thats when it started raining! I decided to walk in the shade as much as possible. I discover a 7/11 near our back gate. There was an Indian Mart there in the pre-pandemic era, I felt sad when it closed down may be because of the outbreak of the virus? Anyway, I had to visit it after my walk. I dislike walking amidst the crowd, in enclosed areas! The moment the rain was on hold a bit, I took the lonelier path!On my journey, I click the kids, buy & enjoy the cream croissant like a kid!



Walking in the rain got me even slower, wish I could become a slow, minimal, decent eater!


I mean three chapatis with kheer / payesh, dhonepatar chutney after a cream filled croissant was a bit too much; but loved it!

I AM EATING SIMPLE, HOME COOKED FOOD, THE AMOUNT MAY NOT BE RIGHT!

I am unable to eat anything else other than simple; my ill health may be the reason or may be I cook too much and then lose interest!I think that is the reason why I planned something different for last night's dinner!I usually do not work myself up on a Sunday, Cristine goes for an off day!Then, I wished to blog about it today!If the son sits in a country that celebrate ghosts, if the son has been using a skeletal face in all public spaces since long back; I cannot blog about an "amra diye tok dal" today!The son loving it is not the purpose! I did not have to go out shopping for a client,I went to get the vegetables required for cooking the recipe!On my way back, I got quesadilla for T's lunch, I did not buy anything for myself. I had to finish off the remaining food blocking up the refrigerator! Its my home, my kitchen; I cannot let food go waste!



Until I finished the mixed vegetable offered to Maa Lokkhi, the chicken bowl was kept at far. The family veterans would not eat both together! Rules need to modify, change!Then, after a nap and power tea with some snack; I went up to cutting the vegetables for the batter fries; do a quick, yummy, dip to go with them!

WHAT IS THIS BENGALI STYLE VEGETABLE TEMPURA?

Once in a while, I did eat tempura fries in the food courts, if not in a proper Japanese spot! As I say, we rarely go out for fine dining, the man prefers going for fine dining which cannot be made regular at this stage in life!What I want him to do is going to decent eateries often with me; he refuses!I lead my own life as per my wish, staying within my limits!I liked Tempura Fries, I see tempura batter mix in the different store, did not feel the urge to buy!I strongly felt, I need to try the vegetarian batter fries at home with some Indian / Bengali seasonings!I even had the plan to dust the fries with some chaat masala, but did not have the mind to; India was losing in the game of cricket!How can I? So, this BENGALI STYLE VEGETABLE TEMPURA are fries with a vegan, gluten-free coating, having a good amount of chilli & black pepper powder in the marination! I made the tempura batter myself going through some similar recipes.Sorry, if I did not note down their names to mention here!The dip I made with cashews, raisins, mayonnaise,green chilli! It was a good combo deal!Tomorrow, I will be cooking a platter for dinner, the occasion calls for!



INGREDIENTS FOR THE HOMEMADE TEMPURA MIX :

RICE FLOUR : 1 COFFEE MUG
CORN FLOUR : 2-3 TBSP
BAKING POWDER : 1/2 TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
CHILLED WATER : AS REQUIRED FOR THE PASTE

INGREDIENTS :  THE VEGETABLES & THEIR MARINATION :

EGG PLANT / BRINJAL : 2-3 SMALL
CARROT : 1 OR A 1/2
LOTUS ROOT : 1 SMALL
POTATO : 1
SWEET POTATO : 1 SMALL
FRENCH BEAN : 10-12
RED CHILLI POWDER : 11/2 TSP
BLACK PEPPER POWDER : 1/2 TSP
SUGAR : 1/2 TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED

INGREDIENTS FOR THE VEG TEMPURA FRIES :

THE TEMPURA BATTER
THE DRESSED, WASHED, MARINATED VEGETABLES
OIL TO DEEP FRY

PROCEDURE :


In this recipe, we are using 6 variety of vegetables.They are potato, carrot, sweet potato, brinjal, lotus root!

We will peel off their skin, except for the brinjal & lotus root! 

We would cut some lengthwise; some round shaped!
 

We will wash them very well under the running water! Lotus roots have a lot of mud in them!


We drained the water and marinated the vegetables with the salt, black pepper powder, sugar & salt!


We will keep them marinated for 15 minutes or so and drain the marinade.

We will mix together the corn flour, rice flour, salt & baking powder!We will add the chilled water to it little by little to prepare a paste like consistency!


The oil has to be hot enough to start frying!


We will dip & coat each variety of the vegetables well and then fry them in batches!





Once done, the water need to be strained well and kept onto a tissue paper before having when still hot!



For the dip, I blended together some cashew nuts, raisins,2 tbsp mayonnaise, a green chilli, it was done!



We really enjoyed the vegan, gluten-free, vegetarian fritters & dip combo deal!







1 comment :

  1. Looks great! I am not a vegan one but i love vegan foods alot. I a sure This must be delicious.

    ReplyDelete