Friday 8 October 2021

OVEN E MOSHOLA FULKOPI GRAVY



THE "WE LOVE CAULIFLOWER" FAMILY!

Is cauliflower the glamour quotient in the vegetable kingdom? I do not know why this question arises on my mind often! The movements & actions in the food world make me think so! Say, the PM of UK wished to go for a Bengali dinner one evening! Would he be served "gathi kochur dalna" or "chal kumror pur bhaja"? He would not be, even if the chef is from Kolkata or Dhaka, they would serve him a modified version of "fulkopi-aloor dalna" with lots of cashews & raisins in it which the Bengali Homes do not have any clue about! This is the reason why I never blog about a Hyderabad Charminar's Nihari or Lucknow's trademark Galouti or Mangalorean Fish Curry! I may try them in a restaurant but do not believe in their authenticity! I believe only a Mangalorean or an Andhraite or an UP resident  by birth can serve me food authentic of their place! Well, I took the name of the UK's PM because I like his mannerisms, so funny!Had Herge been alive, he would have evolved one new character drawing the inspiration from the PM! In the food world too; there is constant evolving, modifying, developing of the authentic which is constant I guess. My today's recipe is such a modification! It is like, give me a "fulkopi, jeerey guro, dhone guro, lankar guro, noon, lebur rosh", I will give it a glorified status! There is no wrong in that so long the food is tasty and the ingredients do not go to waste!These days, I try to get them healthier too!

EATING DISORDER IS CAUSING RUCKUS IN MY SYSTEM!

There is not much of upheaval in my life, I do not have to run for my office early morning, I do not have targets to meet or have to face the rage of my bosses! I am such a dilli-dallied self that I do not load myself with more than two orders in a day, even if it involves good earning!I want to earn but cannot perform under pressure!What I am more concerned about is my inability to bring my diet pattern in control. Why do I tend to over eat post 50 and fall sick thereafter? I have no answer to this!All my uneasiness is in the stomach area!I cannot stay away from eating, hence never shall recover, may not live for long either!The period I feel sick,I go into some restrictions, make promises and then again I forget! The last few days, I am having light curries with Ajmod tempering!I was not enjoying non-vegetarian food! I preferred a Water Cress Pakora / Halenchar Bora, butter rice yesterday night!The kali dal & bandhakopir ghonto was an excess, I had to not letting them go waste!



I do not eat that heavy dinners, this week I did eat rice!Out of fear, I was not having salad since last Sunday!Yesterday, I ate few lettuce leaves, today morning, I am happier!I am happy enough to share my last blogpost, the week before Durga Pooja!I wished for such a recipe that young kids living on their own can try in the oven. Cauliflower is a wonder vegetable that way, every oven type loves it!

WHAT IS OVEN E MOSHOLA FULKOPI GRAVY?

This is another khichuri / hodge-potch Vegan, Gluten-free dish that does not have any fixed history of a place, race, clan, community! Okay, we can say, the source can be the West!Did we not learn from them all the use of oven; baking, grilling, broiling, roasting? I still do not understand the difference between broiling, roasting. I have not done broiling ever because I have never used a conventional / traditional oven, I have worked with a convection mode microwave!In that too, I do not use all the functions!I have technology phobia!These days, I do a lot of cooking in the oven, mainly to avoid the oil consumption; it saves time & labour too!I do it staying within my limited knowledge!So, in this OVEN E MOSHOLA FULKOPI GRAVY,I have used the basic Bengali Spices and my favourite curry base with cashews, raisins, onion, melon seeds!Its as simple as that, lets do it!The rest you see are Bhature & Coriander Chutney!Nonetheless to say, we love such vegetarian platters!



INGREDIENTS : 

CAULIFLOWER : A STANDARD SIZED
ONION : 1
GREEN CHILLI : 1
CASHEW NUT : 7-8
RAISIN : 7-8
MELON SEED : 1 TSP
CUMIN POWDER : 11/2 TSP
CORIANDER POWDER : 11/2 TSP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 1 TSP
DRY MANGO POWDER : 1 TSP
LEMON JUICE : 5-6 TBSP
CINNAMON STICK : 2-3 ONE INCH STICK
GREEN CARDAMOM : 2-3
CLOVE : 3-4
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 2 TBSP+2TBSP

PROCEDURE : 


Trim the cauliflower stalks as much as possible without a breakage or tear!

Wash it well!Soak both sides in salted hot water at least for an hour.Drain the water!Wash the cauliflower again!



Marinate it very well with all the spice powders, salt, lemon juice,2 tbsp oil!

The spice mixture should reach the remote corner of the cauliflower!


Keep it marinated for 5-6 hours for a better taste!I usually marinate in the morning and cook at night!


Grease a oven proof plate with few drops of oil and place the cauliflower on the plate! Pour the marinade on top!


The bake mode of my convection microwave oven is not working!I used the combination method; microwave+grill!

I had placed the low height wired stand inside and placed the metal plate with the cauliflower atop!

I cooked 10+10+5 minutes at 300 power I think! You must check your timing, it may differ! Every 10 minutes, brush some oil atop. Do not forget to wear gloves!


Peel, throw the two ends of the onion and cut, wash!

Add the raisins & cashews, washed green chilli, melon seeds! Add 1/4 small tea cup of water. Prepare a paste!


Heat 2tbsp of oil in a wok and temper it with the cinnamon stick, green cardamom & cloves!

Add the white spice paste and stir at low heat for 3-4 minutes!



Add 1/2 coffee mug of water and bring to a boil!


Once it turns thick, say after 4-5 minutes; switch of the gas stove!


Pour it atop the cauliflower!We loved the platter of Bhature, Coriander Chutney and the oven cooked Cauliflower!




1 comment :

  1. Esoecially in fall season, We cook cauliflower alot. This recipe is another new recipe with very rich ingredients for us. I would like to try it.

    ReplyDelete