Monday 18 October 2021

LESS SUGAR LOBONGO LOTIKA


 

FOOD MUST LOOK GOOD IN MY HOME, IF NOT PERFECT!

Not only a sweet snack post, I wish to share with you the story revolving around it's making!It all started a day or two prior to the Durga Pooja!I was yet to do up my nails and other stuffs necessary, just before the Durga Pooja!They may not be as important in life! Somehow, I managed to cook this low in sugar, modified version of a Bengali sweet "Lobongo Lotika" in between all of those busy schedule!I clicked the steps and the final pictures too!




That I will skip the last step of soaking them in a warm sugar syrup for a while was pre-decided! Then, I did not like the finish of it! Those bubbles are unwelcome, may be the oil was more hot that required! I got busy with the festivity thereafter!

I AM EATING UNBELIEVABLY SIMPLE THESE DAYS!

Most importantly, I ate the simplest food during the Durga Pooja and did not feel irritated or suffered from a lack of fulfilment!A dinner at the Arab Street was good enough for me and the taste of the lamb kebabs would linger for long, even the chicken kebabs were too good.I love middle eastern breads!I was getting home the simplest of food from the pooja venue for our lunch!That simplicity continues!I did not cook in bulk last Saturday because my refrigerator racks must remain empty until Wednesday, its Lakshmi Pooja!I got food from Jollibee yesterday for the man's lunch, I did not wish to because I had to do away with a couple of leftovers!






May be towards the end of the week, I will go to Jollibee for a fried chicken meal!I prefer sitting in the venue amidst strangers, study them or just get lost! Why I never get bored wandering alone I wonder!Thereafter, I had a dry cake biscuit & tea in the evening and our dinner was what I cooked last to last Saturday.



Today too, you will know gradually how involved I got with something! Then, I went down for a swim, came back and had another rustic meal! In between all these, I did two sets of prayers! 


Oh!How I loved the "panta bhaat"with oven cooked potatoes!I am just feeling tired and feverish, swimming in the rain & a plate of "panta bhaat"are a deadly combination! Every bone is wanting an hour of nap to feel fresh but writing the blog is a pleasure!Besides, I have discovered hidden cough & cold within; is hypothyroidism a reason?

WHAT IS LESS SUGAR LOBONGO LOTIKA?

The incomplete story had been the following! This morning, I felt I would not use the pictures clicked last week. Why not? I know the trick of frying them that can avoid that finish!I cooked another batch of LESS SUGAR LOBONGO LATIKA.It is a Bengali vegetarian sweet, I rather would call it a sweet snack! Again, it is not a pedigreed sweet in Kolkata, the local snack shops rather make it in the morning, the famous sweet shops won't keep it, still the neighbourhood shops would!I added some cashews & raisins to the instantly made khoya / mawa filling and totally skipped the sugar syrup part! Hope, that helps you too! I feel great been able to get that near perfect texture & look today! I feel better sipping some hot tea and a bowl of "jhal muri"! Life is always good if we know how to face it!





INGREDIENTS : [FOR THE FILLING]

FULL CREAM MILK : 1 SMALL TEA CUP
GHEE / CLARIFIED BUTTER : 2-3 TBSP
POWDERED MILK : 1/2 MEDIUM TEA CUP
GRAM FLOUR : 1/2 MEDIUM TEA CUP [CAN SKIP & USE MILK POWDER ALONE]
CHOPPED & ROASTED CASHEW NUT : 1 TBSP
RAISIN : 10-12
SUGAR : 2 TSP [I USED BROWN SUGAR]
GREEN CARDAMOM POWDER : 1/4 TSP

INGREDIENTS : [FOR THE DOUGH]

REFINED FLOUR : 1 COFFEE MUG
SALT : A PINCH OR TWO
GHEE / CLARIFIED BUTTER : 1 TBSP
OIL : 1 TBSP
WATER : AS REQUIRED

THE FINAL REQUIREMENT :

THE MAWA / KHOYA / REDUCED MILK FILLING
THE DOUGH
CLOVE : 1 FOR EACH SWEET
OIL FOR DEEP FRYING

PROCEDURE :



Let us prepare the mawa filling at first! I always do it instantly, following a youtube video!

I mixed together the gram flour, milk powder, full fat milk, sugar, ghee, green cardamom powder and cooked at the highest power for one & half minute!

Thereafter, I added the roasted, chopped cashews & raisins to it!


For the dough, I had taken together the refined flour, salt, ghee & oil and rubbed well for a minute or two!



I added water little by little and prepared a dough! I kept it covered for ten minutes or so!



Thereafter, I kneaded it again for 2-3 minutes! 

I made small dough balls from it!



We rolled out small roundels, added the mawa at the centre and folded sideways; then joined the other ends!




Then, I locked each with a clove!


I heated the empty wok for a pretty 4-5 minutes!
 

Then I poured the oil and also a few of the filled dough balls in the cold oil!

This part is crucial! We have to fry them for a longer period in seriously low heat. We will switch on & off the gas stove constantly!


Once both sides turn crisp, we will take them out and place onto a tissue paper!



I skipped the last step of soaking them in a warm sticky sugar syrup, a good decision I took!

You must eat it within half an hour for a crisper feel!







2 comments :

  1. Woow looks great! vegan bengali snacks goes well with the hot cup of Turkish tea. Bye the way locked them with the cloves methot so practicle and new. I will try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Its not vegan, milk is used in the stuffing, it veg but!

      Delete