Thursday 20 January 2022

NARKOL KORA DIYE JHINGE GHONTO


 
WHO IN THE FAMILY COULD THINK I WOULD EVER ENJOY VEGAN, RUSTIC VEGETABLE DISHES?

I really do these days. That is why I keep my hopes alive with regards to the son. Although, bhai does not show much love for the family, rustic recipes, neither T! But they eat them; may not be with love! The son is refusing to have any amount of vegetables unless you serve them in disguise of a stuffed porota, puffs or a shingara. He inherited his mother's love for finger food. Mumma is sad she cannot cook enough for him and feed. When with us, he ate more number of meals than what he eats while in the dorm. Is it because he does not always wish to go & fetch food for himself? This can be a possible reason or may be the plates in that country are pretty big! But this mother; who herself is a foodie worries a lot because food is an important part in her life. Look, what she is eating at 6:30pm!

I was out for a long time today and my lunch was a plate of Rojak. Back home, after a good shower, I felt hungry; I do not know how to control my hunger. Not all of my life's shots do I take, my readers do not have an idea what else I keep eating all day! Thats a pleasure!

I WAS OUT ON SERIOUS WORK, NOT TO HUNT A FOOD COURT!

A normal optic shop could not get me a progressive lens! I was angry because I wanted a low priced lens did not mean one does away with the right powers to be given. But the best part of this island is that the natives are majorly honest; they payed back my money! I felt disappointed, exhausted and walked to the Hougang Polyclinic; given I was in that area. The process of seeing the doctor & doing an x-ray of my stiff neck & shoulder had been long. Once there, I was missing my son severely! We went there together and spent quite sometime through the entire process. I was alone today! Again, tomorrow is a long day, I am to shop for raw ingredients, go to a proper optician, then visit the Hougang Polyclinic! Today, I sat, brood and was comparing the cost of health services in India. I realise how cheap it is there, what work load the entire medical fraternity in my land take; a first world country cannot think of taking that risk & load. Where from the Government Hospitals in India improve the facilities? Where would the revenue come from? With that, after almost seven years; I went to that section of the Hougang Bus Interchange where we were regular to take the loop bus to our then condo; at times met T when he stood in the queue while returning from the office! This is one reason he wishes to stay in this area where we presently stay; extremely convenient to commute!




After all these, you can only start with your blogpost sometime around 7pm. Its a ritual for me, not really I do force it upon me!

WHAT IS THIS NARKOL KORA DIYE JHINGE GHONTO?

That I would blog about this poriyal inspired ridge gourd recipe was decided earlier! Again, I added a Bengali touch to it, the tempering is of kalonji that Southern India perhaps does not use. The soft textured ridge gourd too overly softened; just like a Bengali Ghonto dish. I am fond of Jhinge / Jidge Gourd but not the variety we get here. Its over grown with a lot of seeds. What we can say is that it is not in particular my family recipe. But Bengali Cuisine does use shredded coconut to garnish a couple of vegetarian recipes! NARKOL KORA DIYE JHINGE GHONTO is a vegan, gluten-free dish with ridge gourd & coconut with minimal use of spices. I however, toasted the coconut before using; I love that flavour! Besides your non-vegetarian sides; do keep a lentil curry & a vegetarian dish! Thats how I want my daily food to be. I did this photo feature back in 2019 and forgot all about it. I have deleted a lot of pictures taken earlier but this one I felt is worth taking to the blog! Our dinner  would be dried anchovy with cabbage, chicken curry and I would have a bowl of dal. I would allow myself a little of brown rice today. I would allow the beautiful people a little of this and that. I cannot allow them having pleasure at the cost of my pain, self-respect!



INGREDIENTS : 

RIDGE GOURD : 2-3
SHREDDED COCONUT : 1 SMALL TEA CUP
SLITTED GREEN CHILLI : 2
TURMERIC POWDER : 1/2 TSP
BAY LEAF : 1
HALVED DRY RED CHILLI : 2
KALOJEEREY / KALONJI / NIGELLA SEED : 1/4 TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
SUGAR : 1/2 TSP
OIL : 1 TBSP

PROCEDURE : 

Peel off the skin of the ridge gourds. Cut half and then into cubes. Try to discard the seeds. The summer time Bengal varieties would not even have seeds. So loving & young they are. Here, they are gigantic and full of seeds!

Wash them and marinate with the turmeric powder & a little of salt for 15-20 minutes.

Heat the oil in a wok and temper it with the nigella seeds, a bay leaf, the halved dry red chillies! 

Add the shredded coconut and stir fry for 7-8 minutes or until they turn light brown. Take out half of the toasted coconut!

Add the ridge gourd to the wok and fold in well! Cover cook at low heat for 4-5 minutes. 

Open the cover and add the washed and slitted green chillies. Give a stir and cook further, uncovered!

Add the sugar, adjust the salt, stir cook until soft! Transfer it to a serving bowl & garnish with the rest of the toasted coconut!

We also had aam dal / raw mango lentil curry & shaak bhaja / leafy greens stir fry on the day!





1 comment :

  1. Very new, unique and different recipe. Bye the way presentation is perfect. I loved green kitchen towel.

    ReplyDelete