Monday 10 January 2022

BHINDI ALOO BHAJA


 A DECADE BACK; MY FAMILY DECIDED TO CELEBRATE OUR FATHER'S DAY ON THE 10TH OF JANUARY!

I wasn't a party to this decision, neither did I oppose!Why should I? I could see our father happy to watch the rest celebrating him! Moreover,I did not find anything wrong in the initiative! Non-cooperation was out of question, hence! Had I have sensed my parents' facing any trouble; I would have poked my nose! As long as my brother takes care of his parents; of whom the father is already gone; I need not bother or poke in their personal matters!I always keep this on my head if there is a brother; the married sister need not interfere in the family matters of her parental home, unless required!This definitely hinders the brother's willingness to do it for the parents! Neither Bhai, nor I have ever celebrated either of the parent's birthdays, we did not even know the dates or were eager to find out!Their anniversary date did we know somehow, I used to bake a plain butter cake and get some food; I had been earning since age 18! Way later, when the brother started to earn, he followed my footsteps! I was already married by then and was at peace.I never had to worry for my parents because of my brother!He stood rock solid by them and they kept spoon feeding him; got too protective of him!The only bad thing that happened was my brother never could become independent, his career got stagnated!

ON THIS DAY, 10TH OF JANUARY I DO SHARE THE FOOD OUR FATHER PREFERRED!

For the past two days, I kept thinking what to share in the blog today!He had dal only the sour kinds; he loved sweets & pithe-puli which I cannot share on this day because his son, the daughter-in-law do not fancy them. I have to keep that on mind because it is them who took care of him; it is them for whom our mother can live by her own terms, almost. I do not care much about the trivial issues, there would always be some complaints from either side. We need not sit & assess them. I am the last person to create trouble in their lives; I am not of a sick personality!I chose not to get rustic vegetable dishes either; dadun got "bonde" for the grandson whenever he visited their Barrackpore home, our son indeed seemed sad at the news of his demise! Then what? I do take care of various other things these days; that stranger who made me smile or a singer who took me to the peak of an utopia! When the son refused to dine out yesterday evening, I asked them to order pizza online and set out locally to the mall; mainly to buy few clothings for the son! A daughter like is due on Wednesday, I had to buy few things to accompany our chitchat; vegetable chop, chicken fry, spaghetti, pithe, mutton, kabli cholar ghugni are in the plan until now! Besides, I bought two packets of okra / bhindi / lady's finger / dhyarosh too! Yet, it was not decided if I would be going ahead with this recipe share today!At night before going to sleep, I instructed Cristine that this platter would go to Sir's lunch box and Popeye too would have it for breakfast! It was decided this morning that I would click the platter! Satisfied more or less with the job; around 11.30 am, Mumma took out the son for the scaling of his teeth!Obviously, I started late with the blogpost!

WHAT IS THIS BHINDI ALOO BHAJA?

I am sensing I have this recipe existing in the blog!Such a common Bengali & also Family recipe it is!I could not find it; I was firm in the decision I would blog about it today!It is dhyarosh to us Bengalis; had beautiful people been a bit nicer and not have shared two recipes on a plate, I would have named it Dhyarosh Aloo Bhaja!Then,I do not expect from strangers; but if you have fed our father his favourite, I will feed you your's; in principle!This is how our father loved and ate his breakfasts! Because, women in my family are hardworking and extremely competent homemakers except me, we did not need a bread packet every morning; given we are Bengali Indian family with early risers!Even the lazy self does not pack lunch boxes with bread-butter & fruits everyday;I can cook & love the exercise! Not only vegetarian, this BHINDI ALOO BHAJA is also vegan & gluten-free!Usually, the okras are fried brown in this recipe and the potatoes a little more but that requires more of oil! So, I kept it at this! You can either have it with roti-prata or with dal & rice! While I write, I finish off my evening tea & coffee time ritual too!





INGREDIENTS :

LADY'S FINGER / OKRA / DHYAROSH / BHINDI : 500 GM
POTATO : 2 STANDARD SIZED
GREEN CHILLI : 2 SLITTED
DRY RED CHILLI : 2 HALVED
TURMERIC POWDER : 1/2 TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
SUGAR : 1/2 TSP [OPTIONAL]
NIGELLA SEED : 1/4 TSP
BAYLEAF : 1
OIL : 2 TBSP

PROCEDURE :

Wash all the bhindi and dry them. We do not always pat dry them at this home but we should!

Discard the two ends of each bhindi and cut them neither too thick, nor thin!

Apply some salt & turmeric, marinate for 7-8 minutes!

Peel off the skin of the potatoes, cut & cube them small! Wash again and marinate with little of salt & turmeric!Keep aside for not more than 5-6 minutes; else they would turn black!

Heat the oil in the wok and temper with the nigella seeds, a bay leaf & the dry red chillies!

Give a stir and add the potatoes! Keep stirring at minimal heat for a minute!

Sprinkle some water and cover cook for 3-4 minutes! Check & stir every minute!

Add the bhindi pieces, slitted green chillies now and fold in well! Cover cook and check every minute; stir! Sprinkle a little of water if required!

We should be done within 4-5 minutes! Thereafter, add the sugar & stir for 1/2 a minute gently; you do not want dhyarosh er ghyat, right?

This was regular in our home during the season; we had it either with ruti or porota, even luchi & also with dal & rice!

Serve it fresh & hot; if reheated, then take out an hour before having!





1 comment :

  1. Beautiful combination! Especially i loved presentation very much. Looks great. Bye the way, that triangle pastry (looks like our gözleme) looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete