Thursday 13 January 2022

GAJOR ER HALUA STUFFED PATISHAPTA



IT IS THE PITHE-PULI SEASON GOING ON!

I follow the tradition of preparing them every year; not necessarily in the month of December & January!Because there is nothing called winter in this island;I prepare pithe-puli throughout the year! Till date, I could not get the exact English of "pithe-puli";I am anyway poor in the language!If your base is not strong, you cannot be good in that subject unless you are  a laborious kind, who can read & read a lot to achieve the best later in life!I am not near to anything related to academics! I only sit & day dream, repent the decisions I took relating to academics!On this day, it feels I should have studied Anthropology or Psychology or Literature! Actually, I did not at all learn anything!Like the maximum of us do, I just went through a system to attain some degrees! This has nothing to do with learning!Even if I had taken academics seriously,I would not be teaching at Harvard or NUS or JNU today, true! But I regret not equipping myself with adequate knowledge in the right time, also not taking up the part-time teaching job at the Bagula College!I am disparately looking for that good friend of mine Ruma, who had joined there and immediately got me the news of a vacancy for a part-timer! I remember her frail, rural self, strong willed enough to secure a MPhil's sit at the Jadavpur University! Only a true, good friend would come to you and insist you to take you for an interview to enter the MPhil programme! I last met her on my marriage day! The only thing I could do for her was to give her away all my notebooks, peace is in knowing she used them for her students!The only information I had of her was her father & elder brother working as a pharmacist at the Kalyani Hospital, one succeeding the other!That was a brother who wanted to do higher studies but could not after the father retired; he made sure his brothers & sisters study a lot!Each time I blog about a rustic Bengali recipe, Ruma would visit me silently!They stayed in Kanchrapara. She would come to Naihati on a Sunday noon; catch the Naihati-Bajbaj local and would pick up us one by one; Juthika from Barrackpore, Suparna from Khardah, the self & Nupur from DumDum,  another Santhal boy would go with us in the same batch, very near to Tollygunge station was Sir's home!I wanted a sleep after a meat & rice Sunday meal but the mother insisted I get her the master's degree!If my unconfident, average self did not dare to apply for an MPhil programme, she asked me to get her a BEd degree and I did!Today, I do not have the confidence to teach a toddler; neither it is the right age to dance & paint & sing with the kids! What do I do to engage myself? Tell me?

INELIGIBLE TO GO OUT FOR WORK;I CANNOT THINK OF LYING ON THE BED ALL DAY OR WATCH TELEVISION!LETS COOK THEN!

You would find regrets in every word & action of mine!I cook to keep myself off this negativity that can cause me irritation! Take the example of today! I had no intent to go to my doctor but my medicines are about to finish by Sunday!My sugar level dropped but the pressure is tending to get higher since the end of 2020!I am advised to buy one and monitor regular; the doctor would accordingly decide if I require medication or not!I cannot blame anyone for my stress level, its in my nature! It can also be age related; else why would a  happy-go-lucky person like our father got high pressure too? I am sad indeed but I have no time to sit & brood!Mumma forgot to prepare two major love of the son; bonde & biryani!She must do them!



The biryani's final step would be done around 9 pm! Cooking is a stress reliever for me! I could not freeze the moment of smile the son gave looking at the bonde. He was asked what he wants for dinner; chicken biryani or rice & chicken curry? Instant was the answer that he wants biryani!Mumma would gladly comply, she only expects him to behave well with people!In between all these,I had a satisfying meal with dal, salad o dhonepatar bora!Cristine and the son had extra the pomfret curry!


Because my blood sugar level is steady as of now, I allowed myself a cake rusk with tea & ribbon twists! Mumma wished to try swiss rolls at home; did not take the risk in a hurry; instead bought him! Also came from Lahore large boxes of Multani Halwa, I would share that picture in public! 


Since 2 pm, I had a rice bowl, three ribbon twists, one patishapta, one cake rusk & a cup of Earl Grey Tea until now!I do not know who or what can divert my mind from the wrong food habits!Better we discuss the making of the patishapta / Bengali Crepes today?

WHAT IS THIS GAJOR ER HALUA BHORA PATISHAPTA?

GAJOR is Carrot and its HALUA / HALWA is a carrot & milk sweetened mismash / medley; the thick, sticky consistency we get cooking the milk & carrot over time.I have used evaporated creamer to lessen the time of cooking! PATISHAPTA is a Bengali Crepe or can we call it thinner pan cakes? Whatever, they are a must do during this Sankranti time!I willingly follow the rituals & traditions and love listening to the mythical stories associated, the man or the son never stops!Else today I wasn't willing to share a new blogpost, this vegetarian sweet meat GAJOR ER HALUA STUFFED PATISHAPTA! I am not in the mind to!My men love pithe-puli desserts; I really do not get why & since when Bhai stopped loving to have them.Did not we sit together and have them? The daddy loved them the most!If it was Hollywood movies for him & reads from all over the world & ideology imported from Russia & China, his food choices were Bengali; the rural Bangal in him never did go away!Carrot Halwa stuffing is not our traditional thing, we use either mawa-coconut or jaggery-coconut! This is a twist I took inspiration from a couple of posts around, now forgot about the exact sources; sorry, beautiful people!

Few similar Recipes from the blog :







INGREDIENTS FOR THE CARROT HALWA STUFFING :

SHREDDED CARROT : 2-3 COFFEE MUG
EVAPORATED CREAMER : 350 ML[YOU CAN BOIL NORMAL FULL CREAM MILK TO A THICK CONSISTENCY]
SUGAR : 1/2 MEDIUM TEA CUP
GREEN CARDAMOM POWDER : 1 TSP
CLARIFIED BUTTER / GHEE : 4-5 TBSP

INGREDIENTS FOR THE BENGALI CREPE :

REFINED FLOUR : 11/2 COFFEE MUG
SEMOLINA : 1/2 COFFEE MUG
RICE FLOUR : 1 TBSP
SUGAR : 1/2 SMALL TEA CUP
OIL : FEW DROP

THE FINAL PRODUCT :

THE CARROT HALUA

THE PATISHAPTA CREPE


PROCEDURE :


I think I missed clicking few steps and totally the making of the crepe / patishapta batter!

I hired the picture below from another post!We would soak the semolina in some water for an hour. There should not be any lump, mix well!

Then, we would add the refined flour, rice flour, sugar, few drops of oil!The batter needs to be mixed well! It need not be paste like, nor too runny!Add the water little by little and use a hand beater to get a lump free batter!


We need to keep the batter aside for an hour! Meanwhile, we would prepare the carrot & milk halwa!

Cristine peeled & washed about 7-8 carrots, used a shredder to shred them.

We soaked them in water for few minutes and then transferred to a colander!



We would heat the ghee in a wok and add the shredded carrot! We would fold in well and stir cook for 5 minutes!



We would cover it with a lid and allow it to cook at low heat for 7-8 minutes. It would release water!


The released water have to be dried by stir frying, the ghee would emanate aroma!


We would add the evaporated creamer, fold in well and let cook covered for 10-12 minutes.


We would remove the cover, add the green cardamom powder & sugar and stir cook for 3-4 minutes!


We would cook without cover and let it come to a sticky consistency devoid of water! We would transfer it to a plate!


We would place a frying pan on the gas top and grease it with few drops of oil!

We would mix the batter with a round spoon again and pour a spoonful on the pan; quickly spread it round with the back of the spoon!


We would place some amount of the carrot stuffing at one end and roll it using a thin ladle!



After cooking 4-5 crepes, we need to grease the pan with few drops of oil; the first one after pouring the oil does not come out well in my case, you would understand from my picture!

If you buy expensive, non-stick pan; try to skip greasing it with oil!I am not in the habit of buying anything expensive!

Have them fresh & warm or refrigerate once cool. Bring them to the normal temperature before having!







 

1 comment :

  1. Another very new recipe for us! Looks very different and unique. We consume carrot (bye the way our local carrots taste are really very sugary) alot during the year. I am sure our carrots goes well with this recipe. It was so snowy here in yesterday and today. We barely went to shopping-center by car. Have a wonderful Sunday to you and your family Dear friend.

    ReplyDelete