Thursday 7 July 2022

DHOKA BHAJA



SNACKS-TACS; I MEANT SNACKS IS QUITE TAXING!

It is taxing on our health; given we are Indians who cannot always cook their snacks in minimal oil or have corn & cucumber & carrot, tomato strips in a snack platter! I think of biting those vegetables instead of a potato or fish or paneer or meat fry or a wedge & start feeling sick! I try to find out newer ways to prepare healthier snacks, fries & fritters but it is not always possible in a Bengali Kitchen as mine! A compromise with the taste is not my thing! But I and my family have adapted to certain healthier stuffs! We do not mind an air fried croquette; it is not that much of a compromise with the taste we have found out! But I have not achieved the expertise to cook everything healthy in an oven or in the air fryer!

AGAIN I STARTED PRETTY LATE TODAY!

Hailing from a disciplined home where a particular routine had been maintained; I have become the most indisciplined today, because the man's home never had any routine; his father & sister like discipline though! Even  our mother eats her lunch at 3pm these days; she got to be off track with her routine ever since our father got retired! Today, the father is no more and she stays alone for the entire day; yet cannot wrap up early! I have not much to do all day, yet went out for a walk at 1 pm almost; was looking for a frying pan locally, as similar to the one I saw at Potong Pasir yesterday! I was not carrying enough cash & I do not carry my ATM Card everyday! Today I had to buy it! It was almost 3 pm, instead of heading back home, I took an MRT to Potong Pasir & bought what I wanted!


It's worth 20$ and I do not buy expensive brands; just use for 1 1/2 to 2 years, throw & buy a new! In the last one month or over, I was eating this and that on my walks & again had a late lunch back home! My weight shooted up! Today, I had that lychee drink alone & back home a late lunch of choice!



I rarely get home jackfruit, the man & the son do not fancy; but I always liked as did our parents! I would share with Cristine, before that I had to offer to my God Family! Tomorrow morning, they may not stay this fresh!


After a late, fulfilling lunch; this was the best thing I could have as an evening snacks; chilled tea & jackfruit!


After all these, I started to write this blogpost around 5:45pm! I am always worried about the son and the happenings there, but we have to live our lives! I keep praying to the Almighty, when would the sad affairs stop? I would live in fear for life I know!

WHAT IS THIS DHOKA BHAJA?

Among us, Dhoka means to cheat! But a Bengali Recipe of DHOKA BHAJA consist of dal / lentil paste & few spices. It is actually a vegan, gluten-free Bengali dish of fried lentil cake. The lentil varieties of Yellow Split Peas & Bengal Gram Dal go best for this recipe but we can try with any variety of pulses! On the 4th of May, I cooked this, Google Photos say! Usually, these fried lentil cakes are further added to a curry with potatoes! But on some days, I keep it fried & serve either with dal-rice-fish or meat or as a snack in the evening! On that day, I had it as my dinner like this!


Listen to me & try it with with rice, green chilli, butter or ghee & some salt! That makes a great meal for me!

 

INGREDIENTS :

SPLIT SKINLESS YELLOW PEA DAL / LENTIL : 1 / 2 SMALL TEA CUP
SPLIT SKINLESS MOONG BEAN DAL / LENTIL : 1 SMALL TEA CUP
ASAFOETIDA : 2-3 PINCH
CUMIN SEED : 1/4 TSP
GREEN CHILLI : 2
GINGER PASTE : 2 TSP
RICE FLOUR : 1 TBSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1/2 TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
SUGAR : 1 TSP [I USED BROWN SUGAR]
OIL : 2 TBSP + 5-6 TBSP

PROCEDURE :


We would wash & soak both varieties of the lentils in enough water overnight, covered!



Thereafter, we would drain the water and wash again! We would add to the blender along with the ginger paste & green chillies; blend to a paste!


To the lentil paste, we would add the salt, sugar, turmeric powder and beat well!


Thereafter, we would add the rice flour and beat well again!


We would heat the oil in a wok and temper with the asafoetida & cumin seeds!


We would add the lentil paste and stir cook at minimal heat for sometime, until the paste leave the sides!



We are to grease a plate and transfer the cooked lentil paste to it & spread, level!



After about 7-8 minutes, we would cut them into desired shapes; heat the oil in a wok & fry both the sides well!



We would place them on a tissue paper before having!


We can have them with our choice of sauce!





No comments :

Post a Comment