Thursday 28 July 2022

VEGAN GLUTEN-FREE SUTLAC


 

IT WOULD BE INTERESTING IF I TRY DOING THE RICE PUDDINGS FROM DIFFERENT CUISINES!

What I see is that the basic ingredients are the same, each one would require rice grain, milk, sugar or jaggery! The little difference would be in the ingredients used for flavouring or the bake after the cooking part! We had visited Turkey back in 2018, July and I do not remember if we had tasted their rice pudding Sutlac or not, probably we had! I predominantly remember having the halwa, jalebi kind of, a semolina sweet almost like gulabjamun! This Sutlac thing I do not remember in particular, it seems we had on the day we had our lunch in a big area where all tour companies were taking their tourist clients to for a lunch! I do not maintain a written log for my tours, hence tend to forget all of the details! Yesterday, I visited a fair in the Hougang area and saw one of the Turkish stalls selling Sutlac! I wished to have but they were yet to make it, they were selling only kebabs! If you have known me by now, you would not be surprised to see me cooking it  at home within a day!

WHY AM I SUCH A LAZY STUFF?

I am never tired of sitting at home! Okay, I can be bored at times and venture out! But I tend to rush back home at the earliest! My home can do without me, I cannot do without my home. Today, I did not go out for a walk! I was busy all of the morning cooking a vegan, gluten-free version of the Turkish rice pudding. Thereafter, I did the morning prayer pretty late and then going out would have been a bad idea, given I am yet not off the cough & cold and that I have a blog post to write! In between writing, I would have to doze off few times & get delayed too publishing it! While the entire world has one dream or the other to achieve; I am the only one who was born to sleep, eat & repeat! I had to do some form of exercise and I threw my hands & legs here and there today! After the shower, I had a choice of lunch I could not have thought of eating with love over a decade back; porota & oven cooked spiced chillies!



I thoroughly enjoyed my lunch and my last night's dinner too with rajma curry, jeera rice & a chapati!


Tonight too I would have a chapati meal! It seems like I can have a plain rice meal only with a dried Bombay Duck Bharta at this time! I am just waiting to see the reaction of T looking at the chapati on my plate! I am strict, they must finish all of the fish curries I am unable to have!

WHAT IS THIS VEGAN GLUTEN-FREE SUTLAC?

See, how I made a big pot full of the healthier dessert! It hurts to think my only son buys mere small boxes of pudding for himself, his mumma always made fresh for him, his daddy and refrigerated for few days! Anyway, if he had to leave home for his betterment, what has mumma to say! Mumma feels too lonely without him around! Only he knows if he feels that or not or if he thinks mumma lies around being dramatic! That was the first thing I felt when I looked at the finished dessert bowl today! He too is a homely being, unless I go and see I do not know if he stocks enough food in the refrigerator or not! Today, I tried a healthier version of Sutlac; the Turkish Rice Pudding using Soy Milk and named it VEGAN GLUTEN-FREE SUTLAC! We loved Turkey, it's monuments and it's food; the most perhaps the spicy red lentil soup; my people definitely the kebabs!

Recipes consulted before doing mine :

The Spruce Eats
Unicorns in the Kitchen
The Navage Patch 



INGREDIENTS :

UNSWEETENED SOY MILK : 1 LITRE
SHORT GRAIN RICE / KALIJEERA RICE : 1/2 MEDIUM SIZED TEA CUP
DATE PALM JAGGERY : 1 SMALL TEA CUP [YOU CAN SKIP & USE ONLY SUGAR & MORE OF IT]
SUGAR : 3-4 TBSP
ROSE WATER : 2 TSP
VANILLA ESSENCE : 1 TSP
CORN FLOUR : 2 TSP
DRY FRUITS TO GARNISH




We would take the soy milk in a deep bottomed vessel and put for boil. We would keep the heat at minimal!



We would wash the rice grains and soak it in enough water for an hour!


Once the soy milk has come to a boil, we would take out about 1/4 coffee mug and add 2 tsp of cornflour to it, mix well!

We would drain the water from the rice and add the grains to the milk and stir cook for 3-4 minutes! We would let it simmer at minimal heat! We must give a stir every 2-3 minutes!





Whilst the rice is cooking in the milk, we would mash the jaggery! Once the rice has boiled enough, we would add the mashed jaggery & sugar!

The kitchen counter has the rose water & vanilla essence ready to be used as required!





We would stir cook for sometime and add the milk-cornflour mixture and continuously keep stirring!
 

We would switch off the gas stove, add the rose water & vanilla essence, stir and transfer to an oven proof bowl!


Mine is a convection mode microwave! I had placed the low height wired stool and on top of it the rice pudding bowl!


Thereafter, I baked it at 180*C for 20-25 minutes! My convection bake mode worked well after a long time!


Taking the bowl out we would let it cool completely, then we would refrigerate it for 4-5 hours and have it chilled!



No comments :

Post a Comment