Thursday 8 September 2022

DUM WALE RAW JACKFRUIT



FINALLY IN THE SUNSET PHASE OF MY LIFE; I SEE I QUITE LIKE VEGETARIAN FOOD!

But that has to be of my choice! I keep watching reels and it is surprising how some with expertise manage to cover a recipe within the stipulated one minute! In one such reel, I saw this recipe and it's impact was such I immediately was wanting to have it with rice or roti! I feel so awkward I totally lost that reel and faintly remember the name! I prefer giving the names if I am inspired heavily by a recipe! I was beating the bush all this while looking for that particular reel but could't find it, I should have saved it! Since morning, I am out of home, had to see the doctor and on my way back I had lost my way! How can someone get lost from a decade long known area, you might ask! Those who know me, they would not be surprised; I am a born unmindful who day dream even while in the road! On my way back, I was immersed in Cabaret today; "Husn Ke Lakho Rang, Kaunsa Rang Dekho Ge" to "Sanam Tum Jahan, Mera Dil Waha" to "Mera Pyar Shalimar, Tera Pyar Shalimar, Hum Dono Bekarar" to "Maine Dil Abhi Diya Nehi, Main Abhi Kya Janu"! My readers know what a big fan of Bollywood I am!


I totally went to the other direction, it's my choice of music and love for brisk walking that did not let me down! I finally found out my way and even moved my body whilst at the traffic light to go green for us! Unless we love ourselves we cannot survive!

MY PLAN TODAY WAS TO HEAD BACK HOME & EAT HOME COOKED FOOD!

But it did not happen! Lost in the road; I got late and went straight to the KFC, I had a 5$ burger meal which was more than enough for me! Only that Fanta Grape was tasteless! My only healthy food habit is my aversion towards aerated drinks! But these fast food joints do not have much of options in offer!


I am not a burger fan, but once every few months it is perfect for me! I like them small and frill free! Today I took a corner sit from where I could see the shops opposite, the lazy stroll of the people, but I wished to come back home asap, I had a blogpost to write! Moreover, I love my home, my couch a bit too much! The worry that keeps me occupied is about the son's safety & health, also if the brother or T drives outside of their respective cities! Worries would never leave me but living each day is a joyful experience for me, even a puffed rice chikki in a local store makes me happy!


Whenever, I cross pass this place, I think of Rupinder who stayed in this building, now settled in Canada for five years & happy there! I miss well behaved people in my life, they leave me soon! I visited this home when her daughter was born, her son was my student, we were colleagues then, too soft & nice girl!



WHAT IS THIS DUM WALE RAW JACKFRUIT?

As told in the beginning , I saw in a reel echor / raw jackfruit cooked together in a pot, put in slow coal fire / tandoor! The page can be "foodiehut" or "foodiehaat" or "foodhut"; I feel sorry I lost the reel & did not save it! We eat raw jackfruit a lot but the reel's way of doing it attracted me! You just need to mix together everything; the dressed & washed raw jackfruit, powdered spices & pastes, salt, oil and cook covered in slow fire! It took me about two hours in a gas top but the taste was too good! Moreover, you can finish off other works while the curry is cooking in your kitchen! You can do some exercise, do what you enjoy; my kind of exercise is throwing my hands & legs with music, walking, swimming! I think you must do this vegetarian, gluten-free, spicy bowl of raw jackfruit & potato curry; DUM WALE RAW JACKFRUIT! If you skip adding the ghee / clarified butter, it becomes vegan too!



 INGREDIENTS :

RAW JACKFRUIT / ECHOR : 500 GM
POTATO : 1 OR 2
TOMATO : 1 BIG [I FORGOT TO ADD I THINK]
SLITTED GREEN CHILLI : 3-4
LEMON JUICE : 3-4 TBSP
GINGER PASTE : 1 TBSP
GARLIC PASTE : 1 TBSP
CUMIN POWDER : 2 TSP
CORIANDER POWDER : 1 TSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1 TSP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 2 TSP
GREEN CARDAMOM POWDER : 1/2 TSP
CINNAMON POWDER : 1/2 TSP
CLOVE POWDER : 1/4 TSP
SUGAR : 2 TSP
GHEE : 1 TBSP [YOU CAN SKIP & MAKE IT VEGAN]
OIL : 3-4 TBSP [I USED MUSTARD OIL]

PROCEDURE :


I always get home the skin off, cut jackfruit; Cristine cuts it and I do not wish to overload her!


We discard these portions; the hard mid section, the yellow coverage of the seeds, the white segments which when ripe taste wow!


Always do I ask Cristine to grease the palms with mustard oil before starting to cut them, the juice released is sticky! 

I washed them thoroughly! Cristine peeled, sliced & washed the onion; also peeled, washed & cut the potatoes into big cubes!


We would add rest of the ingredients to the cut raw jackfruit except the cinnamon+green cardamom+clove powders, sugar, ghee! We would take them in a heavy bottomed vessel!



We would mix together all of the ingredients and keep covered, marinated for an hour!


We need to place a pan atop the gas stove and on it place the heavy bottomed vessel and cover cook, keeping the heat to minimal!



Every 10-12 minutes, uncover and give a stir, this I do out of a fear going against the rule of a dum cooking!


After about, 1 hour 50 minutes to 2 hours, add the cinnamon+green cardamom+cloves powders, sugar & ghee[if using]! Mix well & we are done!

Remember, the entire cooking is to be done covered without adding water! The rule is to seal the pot!



We had everything of choice in the platter; prawns, okra, lentils!



No comments :

Post a Comment