Thursday 1 September 2022

SHORSHE NARKOL SHAPLA



I DID NOT KNOW I WOULD BE ABLE TO MANAGE A BLOGPOST TODAY!

I was too upset since yesterday morning; although I ate, went for shopping because I have a client to cater to tomorrow! I cooked today too to change an old blogpost! Here is the picture!


I ate a late but hearty lunch too with "loti shutki, palong er dal, rui mach er tok, quinoa"!


But I did everything under tremendous mental stress! Whenever my blog faces an issue, I feel hopelessly wandering in a blind lane because I do not understand technology! Yet, I asked a few him & her, did troubleshooting, placed queries & literally begged for helping me out to the concerned forums! Post lunch, around 4 pm I see, my problem & complaint might have been taken care of! The little of visits to the blog I get cannot be let go off, if I have done any wrong, what is it was my question! I do not know what is next as I do not know anything about algorithm & bots! Let me celebrate this moment at least! 

AS I RECOVER FROM THE MENTAL STRESS, I FEEL SLEEPY!

Since our childhood, our mother wanted everything to be done for both of us siblings! The reason we are lethargic & home bound! But my brother earns for the family, I am the hopeless creature with no strength in my body or mind; both our partners are chosen well; one make me sit idle & the other gets fuchka for the brother standing in a queue! The father had no say in this, when he did not work in his office; he lived in his world of sleep, bridge game, clubbing and chatting with the friends! But all of us in the family enjoyed what the mother cooked, never had peeped into the kitchen to see if she needs any help or asked her to sit for a while and rest! I got married without learning any lessons about household, I lived in my own world of novels & fantasy, friends & music, hardly knew household works! Even post marriage, the mother decided if I should live with T regular or not; because that may distract my studies, I was doing my Bachelor of Education degree then! Today, I can cook for few people, uninterrupted; if you can call it an achievement!

WHAT IS THIS SHORSHE NARKOL SHAPLA?

SHAPLA is WATER LILY! Among us the stalk is eaten! During the monsoon in Bengal, Water Lily stalks are sold, but not all of the Bengali Homes would eat it, mine did! I may not have craved for a vegetarian dish with it then but at this juncture in life, I was overwhelmed to see it at the Rajdhani Stores! I definitely would buy and cook this family recipe, vegan & gluten-free; SHORSHE NARKOL SHAPLA using black mustard, green chillies, coconut, Water Lily stalk! Would Mumma's son ever want to have it, cook along with his partner following Mumma's blogpost? Let me keep the hope alive inside! There are reasons why I do not want this blog to wither away, at least few hundred visits should keep it alive; it has both vegetarian & non-vegetarian dishes and would have more if God willing!








INGREDIENTS : 

WATER LILY STALK / SHAPLA : 500-600 GM [WOULD SERVE 3-4 PEOPLE]

BLACK MUSTARD SEED : 2 TBSP

SHREDDED COCONUT : 1/2 SMALL TEA CUP

GREEN CHILLI : 5-6 [YOU CAN ADJUST THE AMOUNT]

TURMERIC POWDER : 1 / 2 TSP

DRY RED CHILLI : 2-3 [HALVED]

NIGELLA SEED / KALOJEEREY : 1/4 TSP

BAYLEAF : 1

ICE CUBE : 2-3 [ TO AVOID THE MUSTARD PASTE GETTING BITTER]

SALT : AS REQUIRED

OIL : 2 TBSP [I ALWAYS WOULD USE MUSTARD OIL]

PROCEDURE :




This is how Water Lily stalks look like, in the Kolkata markets the flowers are fresh; here they are imported; not that stale at all!



It is Cristine who dressed them, thereafter cooking it is no big deal! We would cut them like a drumstick or taro stolon! The same rule works here, to discard both ends & cut lengthwise taking off the thin fibre!





We would wash the dressed stalk thoroughly and I make it a point to soak them in hot water for an hour. It is a water plant, mind it!



We would discard the soaked water & again wash them under the running water and discard any remaining water!


We would marinate them with a little of salt & keep aside for few minutes!

Meanwhile, we would strain the water from the black mustard we soaked them in! We would blend together the washed mustard & green chillies, shredded coconut, ice cubes & salt to a paste! I was out of the shredded coconut that day & used some slices!



We would temper the oil with  the dry red chillies & the bayleaf, nigella seeds, add the chilli-mustard paste & the turmeric powder!




We would stir cook the spice paste for a minute & add the marinated Water Lily stalks! We would fold in well & cover it with a lid!



We would cook them in minimal to low heat & remove cover to check & stir every 5 minutes, again cover to cook!


It would take  sometime to cook, the stalks are to turn soft & the spiced gravy released would have to get semi-dry!



We also had some aloo choke & dal alongside that night! T did eat, the son would manage with "dal, aloo sheddo, fried chicken or fish" on such days!





 

No comments :

Post a Comment