Sunday, 4 March 2018

FULKOPI ALOO MOTORSHUTI DIYE KHICHURI



This is how Bengali style FULKOPI ALOO MOTORSHUTI DIYE KHICHURI is, we love it with maach bhaja[precisely hilsa fry], begun bhaja, aloobhaja; that is fish fry, fried eggplant, potato fry and papor / papad too! When we offer it to God on special prayer days, we offer as seen in the pictures with five fries, relish, also mixed vegetable. There's no fixed day for having khichuri / khichdi / rice & lentil hotch-potch for us without waiting for rain.... This tropical island gives us freedom to prepare khichuri anytime, it rains often. The men in this family prefers easy meals; I don't comply always! When I am not in mood to cook, I would cook such platters as this heavenly FULKOPI ALOO MOTORSHUTI DIYE KHICHURI. All these ingredients are always at home more or less. 

 I hope I can finish off post quickly, wrap up with lunch, the little work I do on Sundays, thereafter two of us are going out; not on coffee date but to get new curtains for living room! Back in Kolkata husband was not required for this work; we have Skipper within 1/2 kilometre from home, thereafter quick snack meal was must at Haldiram's; the biggest in Kolkata is in our neighbourhood. Why did I force husband to leave sailing, settle down together.?... I couldn't manage rebel kid alone, expected father to take utmost care of his son's studies; what let down! Each time I attend PTM, teachers would say our son knows far beyond text books; an A* student; as mother my chest should exactly be size of Rwittik Roshan's. You bet it is not the case; why? The teachers have more to say; he fails in application because he does not study! The A* student scores 75-80-85 while the others get anything between 95-98! Their English teacher may feel unfortunate being Bengali; here is her conversation with me... "Maam to Me... Ari is excellent! Kintu fakibaaz... kurey... likhtey chai na... chollishta prose thakley ponero ta pore ashey. I start weeping; apni merey oor chamra gutiye din .... to which she says.... apni amar chakri ta khaben? I do not want to lose my job".... I think school has stopped recruiting Bengali teachers! I come back home heavy hearted, release frustrations on husband.... you are spoiling him... had I been in Kolkata I would be part of systematic group, son would have been in control. He retaliates saying, "shut up, don't crib.... you would have deployed eight teachers for eight subjects... son would have mugged up everything, vomit in paper.... when would he have chance to think?" Kids don't play there, evenings are for private tutors! The fight continues, people in this family do not need to go out to fight.... it happens in comfort of this couch! But yes, we enjoy life here in this island.

How do I help myself  to cope up? First, I play a rapid fire game with myself in Karan Johar style! Below is how it goes!
1] Who is better.... Aparna Sen as an actor or director? Come on... as director of course.... she never was fit to sing around tree.... "lokkhiti dohai tomar... anchal dhorey rekho na".... she is big persona...
2] Choose between Shabana & Smita.... yeh frustration barane wali question ho gayi.... both are iconic when it comes to natural acting.... they don't act.... ok Shabana in Paar, Smita in Akaler Shandhane are etched in my heart.... yes.... Tabu stormed in after Machis and Hu Tu Tu...
3] John Abraham / Rwittik Roshan / Jholmol Khan  or Ilish?... silly question.... Ilish of course! I don't take real name of Jholmol... his fists are not under his control. Jokes apart, males of my choice do catch my fancy!
4] Your most favourite movie based on love story till date? Mr. & Mrs. Iyer.... Which scene most? That last scene... when Rahul Bose handed entire roll of film to Kankana... perhaps never to meet again. He did not require any material thing to be kept with him in her memory.... Why was I weeping resting my head on husband's arms?.... That is because he is the best husband in this world....
5] If asked to choose anyone between Ilish & Mutton?.... Tension wali bata ho gayi.... Ilish of course!

Once over, I go for my walk, start with silly clicks.... I click something similar to my dream home... a neat... no fancy, cottage pattern landed property, WhatsApp to husband.... What is his answer?... He suspects wife has started having cannabis! My sad self starts clicking again....

           

         

               

On way back, she had to buy some guava, have it too.... try your guava pieces with black salt, generous amount of red chilli powder... mast!

                       
                                  
I get philosophical thereafter, discover grasshopper on my green chilli plant.... after many years I got to see one!

                            

Above is how day is until monkey is back home around 4pm... 9 pm onwards all fights start.... it is for you son is not in my control... quick is answer... I want him to be independent! I am not surprised coming it from someone who stood firm by family at age 20.... at an age when boys or girls go out on special dates, study hard behind closed doors.... I wish to give him comfort .... the sole bread earner for family for few decades now.... at times with FULKOPI ALOO MOTORSHUTI DIYE KHICHURI....

Things are not that good as such, I am just trying to give cover up! A young, energetic, warm administrator of one of Bengali food groups Somsuddha is in ICU of a Kolkata nursing home, all of a sudden! I do not usually mingle in any group, I know I lack brain, I cannot maintain it! I just browsed yesterday, saw news.... he has little girl... feels bad.... It may be week or so, a boy from our school... a class junior left us, had auto immune disorder.... survived by daughter and son.... aged 18 and 13 respectively... I could not stop myself from messaging friend.... "so wickets started falling?".... Then, life must go on with good amount of humour as coverage! .....But for fitter self I cannot survive on salads, bakes, roasts.... that last 7 kilos to become perfect self is not going to happen in this lifetime! A FULKOPI ALOO MOTORSHUTI DIYE KHICHURI happens often instead, most in our community do it this way. My way of khichuri has to have a lot of green chillies... and dollops of ghee after been served!

You can also try the following recipes of mine :




                                                                                         


INGREDIENTS :

Fragrant Rice : 1coffee mug [We use gobinda blog / kali jeera / chinigura]
De-husked Moong Bean : 1/3 coffee mug
Cauliflower Floret : 1coffee mug [medium cup]
Potato : 2medium [peeled, washed, each cut into 4 pieces]
Green Pea : 1/2small cup
Green Chilli : 5-6 [slitted]
Ginger Paste : 2tbsp
Cumin Powder : 2tsp [using paste is better]
Coriander Powder : 1tsp [using paste is better]
Turmeric Powder : 1tsp + 1tsp
Dry Red Chilli : 3-4 [halved]
Cumin Seed : 1/2tsp
Bayleaf : 2
Salt : As Required
Sugar : 11/2tsp
Oil : 5-6tbsp [we use mustard]

PROCEDURE :

Dry roast dal until light brown. Marinate cauliflower florets, potatoes with turmeric, salt!

Wash rice, dal separately. Soak dal in hot water for an hour, put for boil adding salt, turmeric. 

Rice needs to be soaked for 1/2 an hour, added when dal is boiled about 50%, may take 20-25 minutes at low heat.

                                

Heat oil in wok, fry cauliflower florets, potatoes separately. Reserve oil in wok.

Add salt, turmeric to boiling dal, rice. Add more water as and when required.

When it is 80% done, may be in another 10-12 minutes, add fried potatoes,  slitted green chillies, stir.

                              

Let boil for 5-6 minutes, add fried cauliflower florets, green peas, sugar, little more water if required. Bring to boil after a stir. Switch off gas stove after 2-3 minutes.

                              

                              

Prepare spice paste with ginger paste, cumin powder, salt, turmeric.

                  

Reheat oil in wok, temper with cumin seeds, bayleaf, halved dry red chillies.

Add spice paste, fry for 2 minutes. Add it to rice, dal mixture, fold in. Let boil for 1-2 minutes, we are done. 

                             

                             

                              

Serve in individual plates, don't forget to add ghee! Enjoy with choice of sides! Yes, its incomplete without ilish bhaja.... hilsa fry, in our case it is subject to availability of the fish!






                      
                                                                                                            

                                         

No comments :

Post a Comment