Wednesday 14 August 2019

MIXED NUT DRIED VEGETABLE TOMATO RICE


Its Rakhi Poornima for the Bengalis and they celebrate all occasions getting more of a carnivore or following Bengal's tradition of "no meat" during happy occasions, end up eating a variety of fish.... What about those who would be celebrating Rakshabandhan tomorrow? Most of them are vegetarian I know. So, I skipped the idea of sharing a post about a combined platter of rice and chicken, decided to share the recipe of that oil free chicken at a later date and go ahead with this vegetarian main dish MIXED NUT DRIED VEGETABLE TOMATO RICE today. I have paired it with a side of chicken and salad.... the way my sibling would love it, my son & the man would too. If you are a vegetarian just have it with NAVRATAN KORMA or the MIXED VEGETABLE KOFTA IN A CREAMY RICH CURRY already existing in my blog. My family still would be happier if there is a fish or meat dish alongside these vegetarian dishes. So, the chicken had to be there on the plate today. I am not fond of chicken but like few other dishes with chicken, could have this one from my new experimental dish. I am not really willing to write a long post today, wish to go for a swim. Ever since, I am experiencing excruciating pain on the left side of my body over a year now, only swimming helps to keep the pain under control. You see I already take four varieties of medicine each day, do not wish anymore addition. Moreover, only queens deserve constant pamper, attention, care, expenditures.... I am far from being one. I am not a wise soul but I can tell you all that the one who cares too much is the loser, the one who does not at all steals the show. Being nice, quiet, gentle only makes you a victim because you do not have the power to retaliate, you cannot shout at the top of your voice!  

These days my favourite pass time is to look back to the mid 90's and trying to mend some decisions. In that case, I would have taken up that part-time job at Bagula College, complete my MPhil course.... not all lecturers have to reach Nishi's level staying in the profession or be a stark feminist like Prama or be a school's principal like a Nupur or Ratnadi to feel complete. I know I would have become a full time lecturer by now in a "ganj or grameen" college, happily roaming India wide with "Kundu Special" Travel Agency ..... alone off course.... this self-centric wanted an absolute free, loner's life for herself once back from a tour of Southern India in 1992.... free of the parent's policing too.... uff, I cannot be my brother. I do not believe I have to live by the wishes of my family, I feel free to make some secret visits while in Kolkata because I do not hone any personal interest going there, the best thing is there are no family ties in those relationships, no family matters to be discussed, no carrying the family into those houses..... just one to one conversation over a cup of tea / coffee. My beloved Iva Dutta Miss asked me a question when I went to visit her after my Master's Degree Course result was out .... "S do you think you are taking your future steps cautiously?" Thereafter, we did not meet for years, now I feel I should on each visit. Because I could be  strong enough to  stop myself from begging for someone's mercy at a tender age, I have few places to go in Kolkata to open up at regular intervals.... I need them as breathers. 

For the rest of the decisions in life, I would say in my defence that no one of us have taken or can take 100% correct steps in life. We have to accept this truth and move on. If you have a handsome, weird monkey or a princess in other cases ruling your mind.... life should be good. Most of the Indian / South Asian Families give wrong lessons to the girl child, to be "submissive and hone Herculean digestive powers".... Learn to say "shut up" to those who take you for granted, however I still do not find bare bodied men and women in public quite an interesting sight unless those pictures are fetching you lakhs & crores of rupees / dollars etc. Come, have some "porota achar" with me or just be like me, a happy, lonely wanderer who loves going out alone and have some melon and reduced sweet "yuan yang". Do what you like, be a little cautious how you project yourself in social media.




Take good care of your wishes in a real life scenario. Because I do not give in to the man's family's wishes, did not allow them to decide what I do and what I do not, who to meet and who not to..... I have to love myself enough not caring about what they think of me. When the son is not at home, I wander alone, I spend quality time with a Cristine, with one Miss.W..... avoid mingling with "masked souls" often.... I decide how much time do I give to people who I find superfluous.... isn't it better to sweat out in the kitchen and stir up a main dish with rice like this MIXED NUT DRIED VEGETABLE TOMATO RICE? Life would have been better if I could earn a little something from this loving hobby.... I so wished to! 



INGREDIENTS :

BASMATI OR ANY LONG GRAINED RICE : 1COFFEE MUG
DRIED MIXED VEGETABLE : 2SMALL TEA CUP [ I got from Istanbul, you can use fresh veggies]
WALNUT : 2TBSP BROKEN
CASHEW NUT : 10-12HALVED
ALMOND : 10-12
TOMATO PASTE : 1COFFEE MUG
SLICED ONION : 1MEDIUM TEA CUP
CURRY LEAF : A HANDFUL
CUMIN SEED : 1/2TSP
CUMIN POWDER : 1TSP
CORIANDER POWDER : 1TSP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 1TSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1TSP
GARAM MASALA POWDER : 1TSP
BLACK PEPPER POWDER : 1/2TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 4-TBSP + 2TBSP

PROCEDURE :

Let us prepare the rice first. We would boil it until 60% done, then strain and wait for half an hour for all the water to drain.

In that time we would arrange everything on the kitchen counter. We would wash the sliced onion and curry leaves. You can soak the dried vegetables in warm water for sometime before use, I did not.



Heat the oil in a wok, temper with cumin seeds.


Add the onion slices and curry leaves. Stir for a while and until the onion slices turn translucent. 


Add the nuts and stir for a minute or so. 


Add the tomato puree, and stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the turmeric + cumin + coriander + red chilli + black pepper + garam masala powders + salt as required and stir for a minute.



Now, add the vegetables and fold in well.


Add the cooked rice and here we have to be little cautious. We will try to avoid the breaking of rice and use two ladles to gently fold in and mix all the ingredients.

Towards the end, you can add 2tbsp ghee / clarified butter for an awesome flavour, that would not keep it a vegan dish!


Enjoy while its still hot. We had a chicken curry and salad. You can skip the chicken and have fish or mutton.... skip the non vegetarian part and add in vegetarian koftas and kormas or just enjoy the delightful rice main with a simple serving of salad and raita.














No comments :

Post a Comment