Wednesday, 14 August 2019

MIXED NUT DRIED VEGETABLE TOMATO RICE


It's Rakhi Poornima for us Bengalis, we celebrate occasions getting more carnivorous or follow Bengal's tradition of "no meat" during happy occasions, eat varieties of fish.... What about those who would be celebrating Rakshabandhan tomorrow? They may eat vegetarian food. I skipped idea of sharing a post about a combined platter of rice and chicken, decided to share the recipe of that oil free chicken at a later date, go ahead with a vegetarian main dish MIXED NUT DRIED VEGETABLE TOMATO RICE. I have paired it with side of chicken, salad.... way my sibling would love it, my son, man would. If you are vegetarian, have it with NAVRATAN KORMA or  MIXED VEGETABLE KOFTA IN A CREAMY RICH CURRY already there in blog. 

My family would have been happier if there had fish or meat dish alongside the vegetarian. The chicken had to be there on plate today. I am not fond of chicken but like few dishes with chicken, could have this one from my new experimental dish. I am not really willing to write long post today, wish to swim. Ever since, I am experiencing excruciating pain on left side of my body over a year now, only swimming helps to keep the pain under control. I already take four varieties of medicine each day.

These days my favourite pastime is to look back to mid 90's, try see what I could be otherwise. In that case, I would have taken up that part-time job at Bagula College, complete my MPhil course.... not all lecturers have to reach Nishi's level staying in profession or be stark feminist like Prama or become school's principal like Rupadi, Nupur, Ratnadi to feel complete. I know I would have become  full time lecturer by now in a "ganj or grameen" college, happily roaming India wide with "Kundu Special" Travel Agency ..... alone of course.... this self-centric wanted an absolute free, loner's life for herself. Once back from tour of Southern India in 1992.... free of mother's policing too.... uff, I cannot be my brother. I do not believe I have to live by family's wishes, I feel free to make some secret visits while in Kolkata, there are no family ties in those relationships, no family matters to be discussed, no carrying family into those houses..... just one to one conversation. My beloved Iva Dutta Miss is one such. 

Besides academics, rest of decisions in life are good, only that T's & mine have different temperaments. I would say in my defence that no one of us have taken or can take 100% correct steps in life. We have to accept this truth and move on. Our kids make lives heavenly. Most of  Indian / South Asian Families give wrong lessons to girl child, to be "submissive, hone Herculean digestive powers".... Learn to say "shut up" to those who take you for granted. Come, have some "porota achar" with me or just be like me, a happy, lonely wanderer who loves going out alone, have some melon and reduced sweet "yuan yang". Do what you like, be a little cautious how you project yourself in social media, in real life too.




Take good care of your wishes in real life scenario. Because I don't allow anyone to decide what I do, what I don't,..... I have to love myself enough not caring about what they think of me. When son is not at home, I wander alone, I spend quality time with Cristine, with one Miss.W, few friends. I decide how much time do I give to people who I find superfluous.... isn't it better to sweat out in kitchen, stir up main  rice bowl like this  MIXED NUT DRIED VEGETABLE TOMATO RICE? Life would have been better if I could earn little something from this loving hobby.... I wished to! 


INGREDIENTS :

BASMATI OR ANY LONG GRAINED RICE : 1COFFEE MUG
DRIED MIXED VEGETABLE : 2SMALL TEA CUP [ I got from Istanbul, you can use fresh veggies]
WALNUT : 2TBSP BROKEN
CASHEW NUT : 10-12HALVED
ALMOND : 10-12
TOMATO PASTE : 1COFFEE MUG
SLICED ONION : 1MEDIUM TEA CUP
CURRY LEAF : A HANDFUL
CUMIN SEED : 1/2TSP
CUMIN POWDER : 1TSP
CORIANDER POWDER : 1TSP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 1TSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1TSP
GARAM MASALA POWDER : 1TSP
BLACK PEPPER POWDER : 1/2TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 4-TBSP + 2TBSP

PROCEDURE :

Let us prepare rice first. We would boil it until 60% done, then strain, wait for half an hour for all water to drain.

In that time, we would arrange everything on kitchen counter. We would wash sliced onion, curry leaves. You can soak dried vegetables in warm water for sometime before use, I did not.



Heat oil in wok, temper with cumin seeds.


Add onion slices and curry leaves. Stir for a while until onion slices turn translucent. 


Add nuts, stir for a minute or two. 


Add tomato puree, stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Add turmeric + cumin + coriander + red chilli + black pepper + garam masala powders + salt as required, stir for a minute.



Add vegetables, fold in well.


Add cooked rice, here we have to be cautious. We will try to avoid breaking of rice, use two ladles to gently fold in and mix all ingredients.

Towards end, you can add 2tbsp ghee / clarified butter for an awesome flavour, that would not keep it a vegan dish!


Enjoy while it's still hot. We had it with chicken curry, salad. You can skip chicken, have fish or mutton.... skip non vegetarian part, add in vegetarian koftas, kormas or just enjoy delightful rice main with simple serving of salad and raita.














No comments :

Post a Comment