Wednesday, 21 August 2019

PAT PATAR BORA O SHAAK


Memories are associated with dishes cooked with pat pata / jute leaves. Most Bengali homes had during its season. We didn't know Cleopatra ate jute leaves, we have for love of it, family told it cools our stomach.. "pet thanda korey". Our family used to prepare young jute leaves three ways. The above PAT PATAR BORA O SHAAK and a garlic tempered light curry with it which happened to be of sticky / slippery texture. Let us not reminiscence memory today, I think my beautiful memories cause irritation to many around. Let me be nice to these people at times, if not possible always. I wish to talk only about myself today, well that is case mostly.... I am all about I, Me, Myself. 

It was nice day yesterday, I promised myself to go for walk. Ever since I am enjoying pleasure of going down for swim any time of day, going out for walk has taken back sit, I am lazy. Yesterday, I walked for 5km, immediately had chilled coconut drink. Its wrong to have chilled food when body is warmer than normal, more wrong to have canned drinks leaving fresh juices. Thereafter, I had favourite hot mini wok. On way back, I had to walk to nursery because 5km of walk is not enough for a hippopotamus. 

It was after coming out of nursery, being seated to have sugarcane juice I felt something has gone wrong... I have got sore throat. Back home, Cristine did necessary work with saplings, me being uneducated instructor. After shower, I felt feverish. Once home around 10.30pm, husband indeed asked me to visit doctor this morning. I had Calpol at night, slept. I woke up late this morning, around 6am to a beautiful view.... shouldn't I hum "baharon.... mera jivan bhi sanwaron.... baharon.. sanwaron"... I must learn lyrics of this old favourite. While I was paying my tribute to deceased soul of Vidya Sinha in one forum, I got news of demise of Khayyam Sahab.... Umrao Jaan was as much as of him as of Rekha, the Diva. I wish I had courage of having Rekha's life.... "queen of her own self"... Women are not to be caged anymore. I keep telling my brother to take good care of his wife.... she is nice to our mother, we need not monitor her life, she would not allow anyone either.





Should I have Calpol again? If I can walk 6 km to Indian market, I can have chaat or Southern Indian Rice platter. Then, tomorrow I have to visit there for an oncoming occasion. I keep eating out, what goes to their lunch boxes are homemade. Today, it was ruti with eggplant-egg bharta in lunch boxes, beside snack box as that.



Coming to vegetarian sides PAT PATAR BORA O SHAAK, they were regular at home, still is. The problem is I don't get regular supply in island. All of us can finish two plates of batter fries within minutes, though husband never crosses limit. The son would definitely not have garlic tossed jute leaves. These are common, rustic, authentic Bengali dishes, I sincerely wish to keep them alive at this home, in blog.



INGREDIENTS : FOR GARLIC TOSSED YOUNG JUTE LEAVES

PAT PATA / YOUNG JUTE LEAF : 500 GM 
CRUSHED GARLIC : 2TSP
DRY RED CHILLI : 2
SLITTED GREEN CHILLI : 1OR 2
TURMERIC : 1/4TSP
NIGELLA SEED : 1/4TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 1TBSP [I USE MUSTARD, YOU CAN USE ANY]


INGREDIENTS : FOR THE BATTER FRIED YOUNG JUTE LEAVES

PAT PATA / YOUNG JUTE LEAF : 500GM - 750GM
CHOPPED GREEN CHILLI : 2TSP
RICE FLOUR : 1SMALL TEA CUP
GRAM FLOUR : 1/4SMALL TEA CUP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 1TSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1/2TSP
SUGAR : 1/3TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 1OOML - 150ML TO DEEP FRY [THE EXCESS CAN BE STORED FOR A LATER USE]

PROCEDURE :

For both dishes, it is required to dress each young leaf of jute plant. We would fold each leaf, tear off, discard mid section. Thereafter, we would wash them few times well. We would let water drain. Leaves are ready to be used for both recipes.




Let us prepare PAT SHAAK ..... Jute Leaves tossed in crushed garlic at first.


Heat 1tbsp of oil in wok, temper with nigella seeds, dried red chillies, crushed garlic. Stir at low heat for a minute.

Add leaves as much you are using [They become 1/4 of amount you are using after being cooked.]

Add turmeric, slitted green chillies, required amount of salt. Fold in, lower heat to minimal.

Cover cook for 10 minutes checking in between. They release water, get cooked in it. If not, keep sprinkling water every 2 minutes.

Once all of water dries up, its done.


Now let us do PAT PATAR BORA .... Batter Fried Jute leaves Fritters.


Prepare batter with rice flour, gram flour, red chilli powder, chopped green chillies, turmeric powder, salt, sugar adding little water at a time. Batter should be paste like. Keep batter standing for 6-8-10 minutes allowing all ingredients to incorporate well.

Heat 100-150ml oil in wok. Take 3-4 leaves together, dip in batter, coat well. We do not thickly coat these leaves, we should be able to get taste of leaves, which should be crisp after being fried.

Now add them carefully to hot oil. Fry them in batches, turning over constantly. 

We have to adjust, readjust heat constantly during process. Take down as leaves get crisp without letting them burn.


Both items go great with steamed rice, you may try fritters with tea / coffee.

















2 comments :

  1. Hi, where do u get palpata here and what does it call? Little india does not know about jute leaves..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would get pat pata in the Bangladeshi shops located opposite Mustafa Centre, entry-1.... go on a weekend, they keep it during this season, not everyday

    ReplyDelete