Friday 10 July 2020

CARDAMOM FLAVOURED HONEY BANANA BISCUIT STEAMED PUDDING




I felt let us end the week on a sweet note with a dessert share. It has to be easy to do, using few ingredients. It has to be good in taste is what goes without saying. "It tastes good" is a vague term I guess, what is tasty to others may not be acceptable to me and vice versa. I do not like bland food in general but so love clear, bland soups with a dash of freshly ground black pepper or this island's style chilli paste or chilli padi in soy sauce. So, it depends which section of food we enjoy or will enjoy what when; there is mood, there is health factors and so much more. I was never prone to sweets even post marriage. I could never think how our mother ate "ruti roshogolla diye". It was after I was diagnosed with high blood sugar, I found sweets interesting. I do not know if emotion, the mind has any connection with it or not. The thing is I crave for sweets these days but cannot have. I have seen my mother & mother-in-law taking insulin and it is not any kind of an inspiration. What happened is I cannot have too sweet stuffs these days. I may crave for a "jalebi or pantua" if not eaten for long. When I eat, I find them too sweet. So I prefer preparing sweets and desserts at home alternating sugar with honey, fresh fruits, etc. This vegetarian, sugar free steamed dessert CARDAMOM FLAVOURED HONEY BANANA BISCUIT STEAMED PUDDING is done on the same lines of simplicity. I used honey and banana instead of sugar & egg, my flavouring agents are usually natural. I prefer a nutmeg or cinnamon or cardamom powder over vanilla essence. Oh! how I love making steamed cakes & pudding.

It is election here today, I wanted a touch of this island and it's neighbours' in my today's share; something that the world can sit together and eat. Here is an interesting chilled dessert for you. Have it as it is or adding fresh fruit & cream atop or jam & jelly. You know I am that minimalist kind who hardly goes overboard. I like things simpler; okay letting go the steamed cake so bare was not really in my thought. I could have given it a better look. The problem is the senior of the men will eat any dessert in his own good time; that can be after 3-4 days. I have seen dressings and all do not remain that good even in the refrigerator after a day. I had got a big packet of Horlicks biscuit and did not like having it, neither the son who is moody about food. I used all the biscuits in a quick, easy, yum dessert as this CARDAMOM FLAVOURED HONEY BANANA BISCUIT STEAMED PUDDING. You can feel less guilt having it. Yesterday was my doctor's visit; my blood sugar level is under control, the blood pressure went high for obvious reasons. I am under mental pressure, not like the cool kinds in the world. Yet it was a joy having a meal sitting in the food court post the health check. On the better days in the world, I used to do exactly this every day, now it will not be a regular practice.


That is tofu, sautéed greens, steamed egg with minced meat, oriental chicken and glass noodles on my plate as a brunch and teh-o-kosong. Wherever I am going these days, I feel like heading back quickly to home and be with them, that gives me peace.




INGREDIENTS :

ANY SWEET BISCUIT : 500GM PACKET [I USED HORLICKS BISCUIT]
HONEY : 5-6 TBSP
BANANA : 2 SMALL SIZED OR 1 STANDARD SIZED
MILK : 11/2 MEDIUM TEA CUP 
BUTTER : 1/2 SMALL TEA CUP [MELTED]
GREEN CARDAMOM POWDER : 1/2TSP

PROCEDURE :

It is better to take sweet biscuits for this, I used horlicks biscuit. We have to the grind the biscuits to a powder.



We have mashed the bananas and melted the butter.


We have added all the ingredients mentioned in the ingredients list above and mixed well.


We have greased a round cake tin with some butter and transferred the batter to it. We will tap it on the kitchen counter to level.


We will fill half a deep bottomed vessel with water and put it for boil on the gas top.


When it boils for few minutes, we will place a colander on it.


Just in the middle of the colander, we will place the bowl with the batter and cover it with a heavy lid to lock the steam inside.



We will steam cook it for 12-13 minutes at low heat, we should be done.


We will keep it at rest to cool; loosened the sides with a knife, over turn on a plate. We will refrigerate it for 2-3 hours before serving. You can dress it as you wish if you do not like it so bare.


No comments :

Post a Comment