Wednesday 8 July 2020

LEFTOVER VEGETABLES STUFFED PAURUTIR SNACK



I really have to say good things about this fried snack; I mean so far the taste is concerned, obviously I would not tag it as healthy. Some weekends I cook too much, then again throughout the week I experiment with a bread or a biryani. In such a scenario, the rustic vegetable dishes I cooked in the weekend gets worstly hit. So, last week I landed in such a situation. A Thursday or Friday arrived and three vegetable dishes cooked earlier remained as it is whilst I was to cook a fresh batch the on oncoming Saturday. I am not the kind who wastes food unless it is rotten; Cristine is a small eater who cannot be forced to eat extra. It is then the idea of assembling all the vegetable dishes with a new tempering and few spice powders popped up inside my head. I really did not expect the left over vegetable medley would turn out so tasty. I wished to do a samosa / shingara; got lethargic and landed onto an easier vegetarian, stuffed bread fried snack LEFTOVER VEGETABLES STUFFED PAURUTIR SNACK.

This is not the time for me / us to fancy about food, we have major areas to take care of that concerns the family's future. So, I stepped back from doing a more complex shingara, could not even shape the bread slices into cones. I did not want to put my head into anything complex in the kitchen that may eat up my time. Because I enjoy cooking, it is never a thing of irritation for me. I decide when to make cooking simpler in the kitchen; setting the priorities in life is important. At this time, I wish to spend more time with the family. I am staying so much at home that I did not go for a walk for few days now; the major reason for that in fact is the re-opening of the swimming pool down. Swimming helps reduce my upper body pain on the left side but it does not contribute much to weight loss. You can lose weight from swimming if only you swim for hours and do it fast. I swim in slow motion; my life itself is a dilly-dally; the brain is dull. A woman nearing fifty & menopause; who does a little of swimming or low intensity cardio ate three of those stuffed bread snack around 10pm at night!

When Rujuta Diwekar asks to eat rice everyday and pakoras too; I land in an awkward position. It is not that I do not believe her, her words are science driven is true. Then, she also prescribes intense yoga workouts & rigorous gym activities; weight trainings. If you are like me who falls tired after a 6-7 km of brisk walk, how can you or me eat what we want to? I do exactly this. I defy my health needs and listen to my heart and keep cooking and eating fried stuffs like this vegetarian bread snacker with a stuffing of leftover vegetables medley LEFTOVER VEGETABLES STUFFED PAURUTIR SNACK on a regular basis. With the sides of the bread slices, I did an upma. These days, I so love the Southern Indian kind of tempering with different dal / pulses, curry leaves that I grow.



That was yesterday evening, I sat on my tiny green corner with my sugar free, black coffee and biscuit box.




INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING :

I HAD THREE LEFTOVER VEGETABLE DISHES I HAD TO GIVE A MAKEOVER. THEY HAD POTATO, BELL PEPPERS, ASH GOURD, PUMPKIN IN THEM. YOU CAN MASH TOGETHER ANY LEFT OVER VEGETABLES YOU HAVE.

SKINNED, SPLIT URAD DAL / BLACK GRAM LENTIL / BEULIR DAL : 1/2TSP

CHANA DAL / BENGAL GRAM DAL : 1TSP

CURRY LEAVES : A HANDFUL

CHOPPED ONION : 1SMALL TEACUP

CHOPPED GREEN CHILLI : 1TBSP

MUSTARD SEED : 1/4TSP

DRY MANGO / AAMCHOOR POWDER : 2TSP

GARAM MASALA POWDER : 2TSP

CHAAT MASALA POWDER : 1TSP

OIL : 2TBSP


INGREDIENTS FOR THE FRIED & STUFFED BREAD SNACK :

THE FILLING

BREAD SLICE : 10-12

OIL TO DEEP FRY : 100-150ML


PROCEDURE :

Mash together all the left over vegetables you have in store.

Heat oil in a wok. Temper the oil with the mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add the lentils now stir until they are light brown.

Add the washed and chopped onions and fry till golden brown. Add the washed and chopped green chillies and the curry leaves. Stir for 1/2 a minute.

Add the mashed, cooked vegetables and fold in well. Stir well to mix.

Add the spiced powders and stir well for 4-5 minutes. 

Let it cool.




Cristine had cut the sides of the bread slices. I had flattened each with a rolling pin, halved each and moistened the sides with water.



We will add some filling in the center and press a bit with the back of a spoon.


We will place the other half atop the filling and seal the sides with the back of a fork.


Actually, I did one or two to show Cristine how to get them ready, she prepared the maximum.


We heated enough oil in a deep wok for deep frying and deep fried each at a time until golden brown and crisp.




The frying part too Cristine did the maximum. Make sure you keep them on a tissue paper for sometime before serving.


Serve and have it hot with your choice of sauce & chutney; I preferred a plain yogurt to dip it and give a bite.



No comments :

Post a Comment