Friday 31 July 2020

RICE FLOUR COCONUT MILK INSTANT PANCAKE



This Eid-Al-Adha / Hari Raya Hazi Day, I wish to share a very simple, main dish or a snack idea that can go with any stews; vegetables, egg and meat or with any chutney or sauce of your choice. I am fond of Indian Pancakes & Crepes, except dosa crepes. I specially love appam, never did try it in my kitchen. The pancake recipe I am going to share today with you is done on the lines of appam. I have to practice a lot and with patience to perfect an appam. I also fear that long process of fermenting rice and lentil paste. What is funny is I used to prepare idli the very traditional way when the son was this little; even some decent, homely, less crisp dosas. These two were among his regular lunch box items.  It is now I fear that 8-12 hours of fermenting process. I even forgot to do that decent dosa. I think, I will resume the traditional idli-dosa batter making process from next month. Until then, try this instantly made batter with packaged coconut milk, ready made rice flour to prepare some awesomely tasty salty pancakes RICEFLOUR COCONUT MILK INSTANT PANCAKE.

Not only I am growing old but every organ of mine is. Yesterday night, we had mutton and until now I could not digest it. I think instead of having four big pieces, I must limit it to two pieces. The problem has some mental connection too. If people sabotage me with pictures of fish I tremendously love in the day time, there is a possibility I may not have the meat as lovingly in the dinner time. I am almost fifty years now and I have to change my food habits; I have seen I am more comfortable with minced mutton, it cooks faster. I would not mind to say every two weeks, cooking mutton for over two hours is not worthy enough. The vendors here wants you to buy the full front leg and not portions. Four members eating about two kilograms of red meat in a week is not the right thing to do. We are not the extreme kinds who would survive on salads and soups either. It feels simple meals of "dal, maach, torkari, ekta shaak ba bhaja" should be enough for us "fifty-ish" people at home. 

From now onwards, you will get more of simple affairs in my kitchen. Who would I cook for? I used to for our growing up boy, the man hardly fancy food. He can even do without dal, but I must do it, imagine myself having it sitting with my boy. I believe when he visits home on vacations, he would want mumma to cook dal for him. If I sit to express my emotional ups and downs I am experiencing at this time, I may not be able to finish the post any sooner. Let us instead share this vegetarian, Indian Pancake recipe RICE FLOUR COCONUT MILK INSTANT PANCAKE done with an instantly made batter.




INGREDIENTS : 

COCONUT MILK : 200 ML [I USED COCONUT POWDER 100 GM]
RICE FLOUR : 11/2 COFFEE MUG
FRUIT SALT : 11/2 to 2 TBSP [I ALWAYS USE ENO]
SALT : 1/2 TSP
WATER : IF ONLY REQUIRED
COCONUT OIL : 1/2 TSP [YOU CAN USE BUTTER, GHEE OR PLAIN OIL INSTEAD]

PROCEDURE :

Take the rice flour & salt in a wide mouthed bowl and mix well.


I used packeted coconut powder, so dissolved it in warm water and had beaten pretty well.


We would add it to the rice flour little by little and mix well. 


We would add little more coconut milk or water if required. The consistency of the batter need not be too paste like, never runny. We need to beat very well to make it lump free.

Thereafter, we are to keep it covered for about 45 minutes. Let us open the  cover and add the fruit salt to it. Mix very well and keep aside for 4-5 minutes.





Heat a fry pan on stove top very well. Add few drops of coconut oil or ghee and spread well, in fact wipe the pan with a moist piece of cloth. This makes your pan ready for the next 10-11 of the pancakes to be made.



Take a round, big, deep spoon to take the batter and gently put at the centre of the pan. Lightly spread with the back of your spoon. 
Add 1/2 tsp of the coconut oil or ghee from the top. Keep for sometime and take off. Its ready to be served hot.

                        

I served it with a dry chicken curry, coriander-yogurt chutney and a mustard paste-green chilli-raw mango sauce I have already blogged about. 

Okay, for the green chutney; blend together washed fresh coriander sprigs, peeled garlic cloves, green chillies. Add it to the beaten, plain yogurt and mix well. Add a tea spoon of dry mango powder and mix well. Serve it chilled.


I can say you will enjoy doing and having the Indian style rice flour & coconut milk pancakes.








No comments :

Post a Comment