Friday 17 July 2020

MINT & CURRY PATTA FLAVOURED BAKED SEMOLINA CARROT SNACK





It is a Friday and I know it is the second week in a row that I have not done any non-vegetarian share.  Today, I could have but I finalised on this healthy snack. Later in the post, I will make you believe we can actually get a healthy, too good to taste, spicy & salted snack using only 2-3 tablespoon of oil. Most of the evenings, I crave for some spicy snacks with my tea & coffee. I keep different store bought snacks but I either fear to have them every day or do not at all like the taste. For the various variety of nimki / salted snack; it feels if I do them at home, I will enjoy them more. The thing is if I allow myself fried stuffs every evening, where do I stand? It is not only about my barrel shaped body, my health condition is definitely to deteriorate. Some days I cannot restrict myself; some ideas pop up in the head and I do not stop myself from executing it. If it is a weekday; me, Cristine and the son have it and reserve some for the senior to have at night. The day before I think I prepared this vegetarian snack; MINT & CURRY PATTA FLAVOURED BAKED SEMOLINA CARROT SNACK extremely flavourful and quite healthy . 

I was thinking, when the son leaves home to attend college, whenever it is; I will stop getting varieties of snacks & biscuits to this home. The senior hardly have them; may be only over the weekend he would with his share of puffed rice or very rarely with tea / coffee. Cristine hardly wants to have snacks with her share of coffee, if it is pakora for dinner or lunch; she will have, her sir too. At this time, I find myself tied up with more important aspects in life; my barrel shaped body or the lipstick brand nothing stands any importance to me; I do not even feel like buying a dress which is my favourite pastime. But I do take care of my family, the necessary assistance comes from Cristine. Last weekend, I had some leftover edges of fish fillets. See, today morning I did a stir fried rice with fish, scallions, carrot, beans, garlic and packed the man's lunch box along with chicken tempura cooked in grill mode. 



The only bad thing is the son has to have it after 2pm reheated, okay the chicken fritters will be freshly served.

I will also have the same lunch as them. But pretty late. After I finish my post, I will walk to the place that houses a few nurseries; buy some bigger pots I am running out of, soil too. I keep myself occupied with my areas of interest. That helps me! I am self centric and I am concerned of the wellbeing of my home, consider it as prime. When it gets disturbed, I too get disturbed but I never stoop myself as low as wanting some bad to happen in others' homes. If in my life I have done anything good that is not wanting anyone to suffer. The thing is people still would not spare you, they will run into your personal space to hurt you. I do not understand this trait in people, how abusing others bring happiness to one. I specially dislike those who speak ill of kids. But I find way to the light anyway. You will see in this recipe how I dumped every thing, from semolina to carrot to garlic, chillies, onion, lemon juice to fresh mint, curry leaves and carrot. It popped up in my head is true but cannot recall if I have seen similar something around. So many times it happened that I cooked and shared a dish in the blog that is not so common; then checked the net to find something nearest already exists. Till date, I could not call myself an innovative cook, some influences work inside. Come let us do this healthy snack that uses little amount of oil because I have cooked this snack / savoury cookie MINT & CURRY PATTA FLAVOURED BAKED SEMOLINA CARROT SNACK in my convection mode microwave. You can have it deep fried and call it pakora; I am that unfortunate who cannot always take this liberty.




INGREDIENTS : 

SEMOLINA : 1 COFFEE MUG
PLAIN YOGURT : 2 TBSP
CARROT CUBE : 1 SMALL TEA CUP FULL
GREEN CHILLI : 3-4
ONION CUBE : 1/2 SMALL TEA CUP FULL
GARLIC : 2 CLOVE
GINGER : A VERY SMALL PIECE
FRESH MINT : 8-10
FRESH CURRY LEAF : A HANDFUL
DRY MANGO POWDER : 1 TSP
CHAAT MASALA : 1/2 TSP
CUMIN POWDER : 1/2 TSP
CORIANDER POWDER : 1/2 TSP
LEMON JUICE : 3-4 TBSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 2 TBSP + 1 TBSP


PROCEDURE :

Take the semolina in a blender and dry grind it.




To it, add the washed, peeled, cubed carrot & onions; washed green chillies, fresh mint & curry leaves; peeled & washed garlic & ginger; cumin+coriander+dry mango+chaat masala powders; lemon juice and salt, 2 tbsp of oil.



At first, pulse it for 3-4 times and then blend at high for 2 minutes pausing in between.



Transfer it to a bowl and beat for 3-4 minutes. If you think you may find it difficult to shape them; add more of powdered semolina.

Keep it at rest for 10-12 minutes; covered.



Grease your clean palms with oil; shape them round and then flatten. You will do it better than me or even Cristine; do the necessary designs on top.



Grease a bakeproof plate with oil. Place them on it.



Mine is a convection mode microwave, so I placed the low stool required for baking stuffs inside and preheated the oven at 180*C for 10 minutes.



I had placed the plate atop the stool and baked the snacks at 180*C for 15-17 minutes.




I took the stool & plate out; placed the high stool meant for cooking in grill mode inside and atop it the plate full of the the half cooked snacks after brushing each with a little of oil.

I cooked it in grill mode for 6-7 minutes. 




I totally loved the spicy, less oil, healthy snack with my tea / coffee; my family too.



1 comment :