Thursday 17 September 2020

CHALER GURO O SUJIR HALKA MISHTI


This year, the Hindu Bengalis are having two major occasions on the same day, that is today. They both are yearly occasions; each year they are held on different dates but during the Autumn season for sure. This year, there is no excitement around. For us who live abroad, it does not make much of a difference; unless we are at the venue where the event or the occasion is held, we just do not get the feel. However, this family never did crave to go to the hometown during specific times of the year for a feel. I think, the bouts of nostalgia is less in this family; my fear is if at all our future would make itself present in such celebrations. If so, it will be very painful for us. So long it was attached to our skin, we tried to involve it in all the occasions; now that it has got wings, I fear how things would turn.

Should I even expect, after me anyone would clean oneself, change to washed clothes, prepare a vegetarian sweet with a little of dry fruits varieties, semolina & rice-flour roasted in ghee or butter, shape them roughly, offer to the God family? Yet, I harness a faint wish at the back of my mind; perhaps one day someone may just click the link for CHALER GURO O SUJIR HALKA MISHTI and prepare it, drape a saree or salwar suit beautifully unlike my weary self, wear eye kohl and lipstick, bangles and nail polish and do some offering, seeking blessings from the Almighty; for the family and the world. I may not be there for ever but CURRY AND SPICE would continue to.

I am feeling so sleepy at this time; then, I take this blogging thing very seriously. Today is the birthday of a friend too who is a non-Hindu; while doing the photography, I had taken into account various factors, the prime been not hurt sentiments, beliefs, etc. I removed the tulsi leaves before clicking, had them in my tea. What is the harm? I still remain a believer, wise men told me once, carry your faith within your heart and do not disturb the world peace doing so. It is not possible for me to cook and pack meat curry for the celebrating friends. Why should I exhibit myself as what I am not? Instead, I clean myself; think of a quickly made sweet with whatever is there at home. What is there at home that does not touch the non-vegetarian stuffs at all? Okay, rice flour, semolina, brown sugar, clarified butter, crushed black pepper; few nut varieties got me those lightly sweetened stuffs; CHALER GURO O SUJIR HALKA MISHTI; a vegetarian delight all of you can enjoy.




INGREDIENTS :

RICE FLOUR : 1 SMALL TEA CUP
SEMOLINA : 1 MEDIUM TEA CUP
GREEN CARDAMOM : 3-4
BROWN SUGAR : 2 TBSP [ADD MORE, I EAT VERY LESS SWEET]
CLARIFIED BUTTER / GHEE : 21/2 TBSP + 11/2 TBSP [ALTERNATIVELY USE BUTTER]
PISTACHIO : 5-6
ALMOND : 4-5
WALNUT : 4-5
CRUSHED BLACK PEPPER : 1/4 TSP

PROCEDURE :

Though I wished to take  stepwise pictures, I could not because the sweet was offered to my God Family. The following are the ingredients I used to prepare it.




Warm 21/2 tbsp of ghee in a non-stick wok or pan. Tear the green cardamoms and add to the ghee / clarified butter.

Add the semolina & rice flour together. Fold in well and keep stirring at minimal heat for 8-10 minutes.

Break and add the almonds, pistachios and walnuts & the crushed black pepper. Stir further at minimal heat for 5 minutes.

Add 1/2 medium tea cup of water and immediately start stirring and mixing well the entire thing.

Add 11/2 tbsp of ghee and fold in well. Switch off the gas oven.

Transfer the entire content on a plate and let cool a bit. We have to knead & prepare the sweets while it's still warm.

If you add more of ghee or butter while kneading, you can get smoother, good shaped sweets. I just wished to relax while at work today.

If you refrigerate them, they need to be brought to the room temperature and warmed a bit before eating.




No comments :

Post a Comment