Monday 25 September 2023

MIXED FRUIT SQUARES


I NEVER FEARED TO TALK ABOUT MY FAILURES IN PUBLIC!

Then, why not share the recipe of an awesomely tasted snack today that actually was a baking failure, last Friday! Earlier in the day, I did declare in public that I would share the recipe of the fruit cake I baked this morning! Thereafter, I changed my mind & strongly felt I must take pride in my management capacity inside my kitchen, how I save kitchen disasters in most cases! If the outcome tasted good & even the people I took it for have praised about the texture & taste, why not I document the entire process & my feeling revolving around, in a single blogpost? I think I should, although I am a bit tired unable to make crisp dosa from a ragi+oats batter last night! 


What is the point if we are to add rice flour & wheat flour in a ragi+oats mix batter? I did add those, yet got only pancakes for us, not dosas! However, they were tasty because I added ginger & green chillies while blending! We had them with a Naga Chilli Pickle & Tomato-Chilli sauce! I think I would never be able to learn making crisp dosas! The man ate them all, the son might not have! He would have silently kept the plate on the kitchen counter & ordered food through Grab or Food Panda! Mumma misses those fun, who knows if he is getting to eat what he wants when!

OUR LUNCH WAS TOO SATISFYING YESTERDAY!

We had my style Chicken Rendang, "Notey Shaak" / Green's Stir fry, Fresh Bombay Duck Bharta for our lunch yesterday, enjoyed! 


We had all these good food at home that I cooked last Saturday! On a Sunday noon, we went to the mall to buy an oven, I could have bought our lunch! Instead, I bought a mini Swiss roll pack from the Scarlett, till date I get confused if it is a Korean or Japanese store!


However, last Saturday, before I left home to attend a concert of Ustad Ghulam Ali Khan Saab, his son, grandson & team; I asked Cristine to get for her sir pizza from the Saizeriya & what she wants she can buy within the budget I had set! She got herself cheese focaccia & mushroom soup! I asked her to click on my behalf!


Many of my readers know already that I had vada-pao before leaving the venue & it wasn't good! It was not made with love! They did not toast the bread in butter, the chutneys used were not enough! I do not know if they allow microwave in the venue! I can feel if the food is made with love or not!

WHAT IS THIS MIXED FRUIT SQUARES?

The thing is why did I buy that mini Swiss roll pack from the Scarlett if there had baked cake squares at home?  I actually went to the dollar shop which is closed for renovation, then entered this store & chose to buy this! I never can make those Swiss rolls! It's okay! Also, those baked squares I mostly took to another home, they got finished! Today again, I baked one cake! This dried mixed fruit cake was never my favourite! In the recent years I see, I buy them, the cheaper six pieces slices at 2:50$ at big intervals! Why not bake them myself? I picked up a container for 2:20$ at a stationary shop & went ahead to cook a fluffy, spongy, vegetarian cake! Something went wrong midway, I managed to get this vegetarian MIXED FRUIT SQUARES! What I learnt from my experience is that, we would need a cookie dough like consistency to get these squared delight! Obviously, I would not go through the entire process of failure with you! I would want to get you a baked snack recipe that you can enjoy with your tea / coffee, serve the kids with milk, also your guests! Always experiment with ingredients in your kitchen, else you would not learn to cook new recipes! In fact new recipes get invented this way too! I do have vegan, gluten-free cake recipes already in the blog @ STEAMED TAPIOCA CAKE, also @ DATES ALMOND TAPIOCA CAKE, may be there are more!


INGREDIENTS :

REFINED FLOUR : 1 COFFEE MUG
BANANA : 1 BIG SIZED
PLAIN YOGURT : 2 TBSP
BAKING SODA : 1/4 TSP
BAKING POWDER : 1/3 TSP
VANILLA ESSENCE : 1 TSP
SUGAR : 1/2 SMALL TEA CUP
OIL : 4 TBSP
VINEGAR : 1TBSP
MIXED FRUIT : 2-3 TBSP

PROCEDURE : 

We will use few ingredients to cook these moist, baked goodies!


Only the vanilla essence is missing in the picture! My initial intent was to bake a fluffy mixed fruit cake! What went wrong in the mixture I did not get! May be the ratio of refined flour-oil-yogurt-banana mash was not okay! Leave that, let us make a gooey cookie dough out of these ingredients!

In a bowl, mix together the refined flour, baking powder & baking soda!

Blend together the banana, yogurt, oil, sugar & pour it on the flour mix! Also add the vinegar & the vanilla essence! Mix well! 

Grease a bake tray, set the soft dough on it in a layer of the same thickness!

Preheat the oven at 180*C for 10 minutes, mine is a mini toaster oven!

Place the tray inside!


Bake at 180*C! In my mini toaster oven, it took 50 minutes of baking to get a crisp, a bit hard top & soft, moist body! The time taken in your machine may differ!


It tasted fabulous, hence I decided to blog about this accidental recipe!






No comments :

Post a Comment