Monday 9 October 2023

CRISPY FRIED OATS TITBIT


DID I SAY I ENJOY ONLY HOME COOKED SNACKS THESE DAYS?

This tendency has developed in the recent years! I am just not enjoying store bought snacks! Earlier, I used to get a lot of fried snacks home; mini samosas to murukku! The son loves snacking! Now, I do not have any snack sessions, I used to love my evening tea / coffee time rituals! Now that I do an eighteen hours of intermittent fasting, I get to have only two meals, when to have the snacks? Saturdays & Sundays are my cheat days, I prefer having the snacks on those two days! I do not at all store them, if I have to buy any, I would buy the smallest pack! I prefer making my choice of snacks at home! That way, I know my ingredients, the amount of salt & sugar used! It is true, I do not enjoy the taste of most of the store bought titbits! They are either salty or bland to my tastebuds! If I make them at home, I can use crushed black paper or red chilli flakes or chopped green chillies as per my preference! When I crave for a "roti kok", I toast a bread piece until crisp on both the sides, dab butter & sprinkle minimal amount of sugar & have with tea or coffee!



SUNDAYS ARE NOTHING SPECIAL AT THIS HOME!

I do wish to go out for the day on Sundays, the man does not agree! Though, it is an island, you are not left with much to see after a thirteen years of stay, yet I wish to go out & explore! I do not know why he became too homebound after I refused to mingle with the group we were a part of back in 2015! The self proclaimed team leader was opposite my character, I am not the kind to give in to anyone's bossing, I love my freedom! May be the man was hurt, the regular meets were alluring truly but I did not like the association! I absolutely dislike rude, loud people! I love more my peace! The family outings I craved for happened less post 2015, then one day the son flew off my lap! He has no time to text me at least, no one is bothered about my wishes, I had to find my getaway in social media, wandering alone, eating here and there! I cannot be someone to sleep all day, watch television, sit idle & give instructions to others about what I have never followed in my life, neither chat over phone or with people for hours! Everyone in this world has to find out their way to happiness! Music, Cooking, Blogging, Social Networking keeps me happily busy! I avoid making friends, I have serious issues about people talking at my back, I cannot take part in all those, specially when people criticise the kids! Because Sundays are not special, I did not mind having "rice with egg kosha, shojne datar torkari, dried fish bharta" for our lunch & I made some bhature for our dinner, had with leftover Kidney Bean Curry!





WHAT IS THIS SPICY & CRISP OATS CRACKERS?

It was an instant idea & I took no time to turn the idea on to a vegan, gluten-free, crisp, tasty small bites; named it CRISPY FRIED OATS TITBIT! The Filipino went to the local market, I did not wait for her return, I just arranged what were required & went ahead, that was last Friday mid-morning! I did not wish to add the rice flour but we need to bind the dough with something, I do not have the expertise to work with an oatmeal dough alone! I did a pretty good job & was happy with the outcome, crisp, thin with a hint of flavour & taste coming from the freshly crushed black pepper! I am trying to have maximum of the food stuffs homemade! I love cooking, I do not work, Cristine is such a help; why not? Just now I had a bowlful of Dalia Upma, I have to update the blogpost about it too! I wish to wrap up today's blogpost quick & watch something, a movie or a series! It's raining & pretty cool is the weather. The past days were hot, I took shower few times a day & developed a sore throat! Yet, taking shower at least once a day is a must, there can't be any excuse going otherwise! I keep telling the son, after all kids pick up habits from their parents!


INGREDIENTS : 

OATS : 1 COFFEE MUG
RICE FLOUR : 1/2 COFFEE MUG
SALT : 1/4 TSP
CRUSHED BLACK PEPPER : 1/2 TSP
OIL : 50 ML TO FRY

PROCEDURE :


At first, we would powder the oats in a blender, keep aside! 

On the gas stove, we will boil 1/4th coffee mug of water, add the rice flour & salt to it, roughly give a stir! We would not fold in thoroughly!

After 2-3 minutes, we would transfer the mixture to a plate, let cool but not fully! 

While still warm, we would knead it a bit & add to the oatmeal! We would add the crushed black pepper & oil too! 

We would knead for 3-4 minutes to get a dough, not too smooth!


We would tear off smaller portions, smoothen between our palms, cut into desired shapes; not too thick or thin!

We would heat the oil in a wok & gently add a small batch when the oil is little warm & not hot! Thereafter, we would fry them in low heat, take out and place on to a tissue paper!

They are too crisp & breakable, handle them carefully! The taste reminded me of "sheooi", made in the grandparent's home with rice paste, was used an aluminium tray with holes like thing to shape, sun dried & stored, fried & served! Nostalgia runs faster as we age!



No comments :

Post a Comment